Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Update from Houston
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
spare time toys
It is hot and muggy here. Heat index is 101 sad.gif The airport is packed clear out the front door. All the gates are full of A/C and have 1 or 2 waiting to get in to each gate. Last count the line for take off was 22 A/C long and none of them are going because the ATC is on a reduced crew. They let about 10 go and 10 land and so on. We counted 60 A/C sitting around at gates holding for gates or to take off wacko.gif One of the guys went upstairs to get a burger and said it is just a mad house. I am here untill 3 PM tomorow that is when we turn out the lights and the employies fly out Larry
Root_Werks
God Speed Larry, get out safe. sad.gif
MBowman325
Hope everything moves as smoothly as can be and y'all book it on back home safe and sound.

I've got family coming up, be here tomorrow from Seabrook. An old friend of mine (who is sorely lacking in common sense sometimes) is worried about the weather in Plano, which I understand "could be bad" but nothing like it will be there. My Aunt's house probabily won;t be there when they get back, along with that neighborhood and the damage to the coast, it's hard to get those not in the devestation, or lacking sense, to see, even after Katrina.

The Gulf's not been a pleasent place this season for weather.

It'd also suck to be stuck on a grounded plane. The temps inside get to be pretty brutal. Even worse when you ride coach, sick with a fevor and not quite recovered, and they run outta water three rows infront of you.

Take care,
Mike
SGB
looks like time for another "THANK YOU LARRY!" smilie_pokal.gif
Gint
Travel safe Larry. You gotta wonder why, if they can fly the employees out at the end, why they don't have more air traffic folks in there so they can move poeple out in volume.

markb
QUOTE (Root_Werks @ Sep 22 2005, 01:42 PM)
God Speed Larry, get out safe. sad.gif

agree.gif
spare time toys
QUOTE (Gint @ Sep 22 2005, 04:05 PM)
Travel safe Larry.  You gotta wonder why, if they can fly the employees out at the end, why they don't have more air traffic folks in there so they can move poeple out in volume.

We are running all we can now wacko.gif Extra flights up the wazo about double the normal Houston departures. As I look out the window I can see the front edge off in the distance. Just a little breaze now but still hot. Gotta got I have a flight that just pulled into the gate wavey.gif
Red-Beard
I'm staying wacko.gif
SLITS
QUOTE (Red-Beard @ Sep 22 2005, 05:12 PM)
I'm staying wacko.gif

I hope the "Blonde" floats or you have purchased an above ground lift.
tat2dphreak
get out safe Larry!

James, be safe, get out if you can, what part of houston are you in?

I think north and west sides will be ok, but east and south... fucked!
spare time toys
Its 20 after 10 and still muggy mad.gif my shorts are in a big soppy ball between my ass cheeks sad.gif there is a nice little breaze comes up every so often. No rain or anything yet we are enjoying watching all the trafic on the news. One guy took 5 hours to go three miles wacko.gif We have flights all the way up to 3 AM this morning. Then I think the last big push starts in around 6 AM until noon. I have done 15 flights through my gate since 9 AM. I talked to the guy over at the fuel depot about how much jet A we were pumping and for most of the day we pumped 10000 galons per hour ohmy.gif I have a flight due in in a couple of minutes so I need to head back out. Ill post what is going on around 3 after I do my last flight for the day. Larry
spare time toys
Slow news day so far the lady on TV is bitching about sand blowing in her face headbang.gif Get off the beach in a huricane bitch slap.gif Nice cool breeze here now and you can see the stars. We need to reposition 19 A/C because ops parked them on the wrong gates last night. flipa.gif First flights start at 6 and upstairs is packed allready.
Red-Beard
I'm in Northwest. And we are prepared for no electricity for after the storm. I boarded up the vulnerable windows (3 to go) and I'm heading to Homedepot for some better screws in a couple of minutes.

We have food, water, generator, guns, ammo, etc...

Margarita and I are going to hunker down in the bunker. screwy.gif
rick 918-S
QUOTE (Red-Beard @ Sep 22 2005, 04:12 PM)
I'm staying  :wacko:

write your SS number on your arm with perminent marker. Really... cool_shades.gif

Dude, get the hell out of there. Didn't you learn anything from Katrina? screwy.gif

Direct hit or not, your going to get an ass wippin! ohmy.gif
MJHanna
Their now saying if you have not left by now its too late cuz of the traffic mess. I got 3 three evacuees. Two are double evacuees. My niece and one of her friends were both in New Orleans. Her friend was picked off a hotel roof via helicopter and made it to Houston. They were able reconnect with each other in Houston.
With Rita coming towards the Houston area I tried to get in touch with my Niece, but cell phone calls would not go through, however we could text message, a skill that both my phone and myself are not very efficient in doing.
They left Houston at 2:00 AM to try and “beat” some of the traffic but by then it was too late. They went to Beaumont to pick up a 3rd friend and went back roads to get to the McKinney area. 18 hours later they are safe.
While I am grateful that they are here, my concern is for other friends I have in the Houston area. They also attempted to leave at 2:00AM however after 6 hours and 2 miles from their home they decide to “stay.” Please include in your prayers a special thought for all those in transit and those that have elected “to ride the storm out” that they may find a safe haven and be out of harms way.
Joe Ricard
If I had a place for you to stay i'd offer it up. 2x4 walls makes the place a little OPEN feeling.

Most of my nieghbors are living in pop up traliers or tents. Pretty windy here last night Lost power 5 times last night I just roll over and keep sleeping.

Got 3 sheets of dry wall hung this morning. so thats progress. wacko.gif

2 million people all trying to leave the same day. smoke.gif
Well at least Katrina did something good. It put the fear of mother nature back in it's rightfull place. Tornadoes spininng off these stroms are even worse. I just learned that the tornado what tore up the houses down the dtreet jumpe over my house and went to the subdivision across the way. leveled everything for a block.

YOU MAY BE OUT OF THE FLOOD ZONE BUT TWISTERS DON'T CARE EITHER.
spare time toys
9:45 AM local time update wavey.gif 81Deg. 67% humidity wind steady at13 MPH You can see the dark clouds on the horizon cool_shades.gif Been up since 4:45 AM on Wed. Ill be glad to get on the flight out at 3PM NO OTHER AIRLINES GOING IN OR OUT OF HERE TODAY screwy.gif Lots of folks upstairs wanting to go anyplace just not here.
Red-Beard
You have to understand, while they city officials would never say it, they really wanted the people who live in our area to stay, so that the people who really need to evacuate can get out.

My neighbor 2 doors down, his wife is a nurse and is working 4 days straight. 3/4's of the people in our neighborhood are still here.

I think we'll be drinking Hurricanes tonight! beer3.gif
SLITS
QUOTE (Red-Beard @ Sep 23 2005, 11:12 AM)
I think we'll be drinking Hurricanes tonight!  :beer3:

I lived there and didn't have much respect for the decisions of the "City Fathers", but your choice...

Those hurricanes are gonna get really watered down...literally......

Good Luck James....may the power of the 914 Non-Club be with you and Marg.
rhodyguy
that magic marker concept is known as a "meat tag" to my son and his marine buddies. they have ss# tattoos on the sides of their chests sad.gif . i was unware that houston is the 4th largest city in the country. i really don't get why all of the lanes on the freeway weren't being used let people depart? wacko.gif stand still on one side and virtually no cars in the lanes going the other direction.

k
spare time toys
WOW I made it. I got out of there on the last flight out and when I got home I figured I would take a nap before I posted. When I woke up 17 hours later I had to take the boys to ous Special Olympic softball turney. We lost but had fun and that is what counts. Any way I never did see any rain and the wind wasnt that strong. I was hoping for alittle more but am glad to be home. I think we may get sent back to help run it when they reopen.
Dr Evil
WTF!? I am way too out of touch these days. I didn't even know a hurricane was coming...again! I trust James' judjement, though. He would never put Margarita in harms way. I wish I was there partying with you both. It was cloudy here today, and like 70. bootyshake.gif
Pugbug
Looks like Rita is making a U turn, and is gonna try again.

Red-Beard
QUOTE (Dr Evil @ Sep 24 2005, 04:10 PM)
WTF!? I am way too out of touch these days. I didn't even know a hurricane was coming...again! I trust James' judjement, though. He would never put Margarita in harms way. I wish I was there partying with you both. It was cloudy here today, and like 70. bootyshake.gif

We did ok. Here was the dinner you missed tonight:

user posted image
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.