Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Strange brake pedal travel problem
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
ThinAir
I had to replace the master cylinder grommets for the reservoir lines. It went well enough except that I missed getting the rod into the master cylinder and had to take things apart to correct that. The way I did it was to loosen the MC from the wall and then remove the rod from the brake pedal arm so that I could slide the rod in place and then put it all back together.

As it stands now the pedal will travel back to the upper stop if I let off the pedal quickly enough so that it "snaps" back. But if I let off of it gently it will hang up with about 1/8" between the stop and the arm and I have to pull it back with my toe to get the brake lights to go off. I can feel it in the way the car drives if it's not all the way back - the car feels like I'm driving with the brakes on.

Any idea what could be causing it to bind up in that last little bit of pedal travel? Having to pull back on the pedal won't keep me from driving it tomorrow to the Red Rock Classic, but I'd sure like to get it right. I can't see anything that is an obvious problem!
Dave_Darling
Spill any brake fluid? Any get on the bushings in the pedal cluster? That makes 'em swell, which can cause sticking.

--DD
ThinAir
Found the problem. It's not supposed to be bent like this!!!

I can hardly believe that I managed to bend it. A few taps with a hammer and it's good to go. Works smooth again now.

There's still enough daylight left to reassemble and wash the car to get ready for RRC. We hit the road at 4 a.m.

P.S. - Thanks for the ideas Dave!
ThinAir
The car is clean and I just got back from a test drive - all is ready to go!! Woo-hoo! Moab, here we come!! driving.gif

I think there is a conspiracy to ensure that I always have something last minute to deal with before an event - and usually it is something I've done to myself! Oh well, you learn from every mistake that you survive. laugh.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.