Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Broken clutch cables?? How common?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Mueller
Just wondering what portion/location of the cable breaks most often?

Near the front of the cable where it attaches to the pedal?

At the pivot wheel on the transmission?

The arm on the transmission for the clutch?

I've never had one break on me, but I'm guessing it must happen....

smg914
From what I've seen over the years, the clutch cable most often breaks at the pivot wheel on the transmission.
Rider914
QUOTE (smg914 @ Sep 22 2005, 04:55 PM)
From what I've seen over the years, the clutch cable most often breaks at the pivot wheel on the transmission.

that's were mine broke - damn thing only lasted 30 years - Junk! wink.gif

I walked to a hardware store and bought a short piece of cable and a U clamp. That lasted till UPS showed up with my Terry cable.
Aaron Cox
mine broke at the pedal cluster
davep
I have seen several break at the pivot wheel. Over the years I have heard that is the most common point. Mostly due to grit stuck in grease on the wheel I understand.
Rider914
QUOTE (davep @ Sep 22 2005, 05:34 PM)
I have seen several break at the pivot wheel. Over the years I have heard that is the most common point. Mostly due to grit stuck in grease on the wheel I understand.

and that is the place on the cable with the most stress and bending.
SGB
Mine deteriorated one wire strand at a time- starting at the pully going back into the sleeve-sheath-whatever. It didn't break but stretched and more importantly the broken strand(s) kinked up inside the sleeve and started binding things up until I changed it. I'm on my second replacement and carry another on trips'cause the last one failed in about a day...
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.