Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Technology is just a fancy way
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
airsix
Ha ha. You'll all laugh at this one. the other night I had to run an errand at around 10:00pm. For the past several days the evenings have been very cool (low '70's) in contrast to the 107F days we were having a week ago. So, along with the cool air I notice I need to do some temp-compensation tuning on the PEFI. So I grab the laptop, hop in the 914 and run my errand. On the way home after the car is up to temp I start adjusting the temp-compesation because it's running a little lean. Oops, bumble-fingers hits wrong keys in the dark. I overshot the mark and it's WAY rich. Note that like an idiot this is all happening while I drive alone at night. Now there's traffic and I can't see the keyboard in the dark so I limp down the road looking for a turn-off. Have to drive at least 1/2 mile before I can stop. I get stopped and the car is running like total crap. Fix the tuning map but it's too late. Plugs are fouled. Engine will barely run on two cyls. No tools. Limp home sputtering, bucking, and popping. Would be surprised if I had 10hp. Almost made it up to 30mph. Next day I clean plugs, restore tuning map (in driveway before sundown) and engine rips like new again. Lesson learned (I hope).
-Ben M.
Mueller
LOL........

You own a 914 and drive it at night without owning one of these?

IPB Image
DNHunt
Boy Ben I can picture that. It.s not easy to tune and drive. I run mine closed loop so it compensates pretty well for little changes. Also the temp correction is in firmware as a lookup table so adjusting it requires code assembly and burning the chip. Fortunately, I haven't seen those kind of extremes. I really should take a trip over the pass to see how it handles elevation and temp.

Dave
airsix
Yes Mike, I had that flashlight, but mine is black. Couldn't use it while driving. Wasn't much good for removing and cleaning the plugs either. I was able to use it to look at my watch though so I could see how long it took me to get the car running enough to get it rolling back to the house. smile.gif
-Ben M.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.