Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Help with EGT gage readings
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Joseph Mills
With my "new" engine I purchased the dual EGT gage the PO used. The headers already have the holes drilled for the sensors.

However, I received no instructions. I found a bit of info thru our search function, but still don't have much of an idea how to interprete the readings. What readings am I to expect?

The engine is in good shape with new heads, mallory ignition system and fairly new 44IDFs (also CHT gage on #3). Car is used for AX and somewhat limited, but spirited street use.

How can I utilize this gage to further tune this engine? And what will low or high readings possibly indicate?

Insight appreciated. rolleyes.gif

redshift
I think mostly to use as a baseline for head temp changes, before the heads actually change temps.

The sensors would detect a lean condition many moments before you are actually dropping seats, or welding.

Fun to watch too.

M
Dave_Darling
As it was explained to me, there is an EGT at which your engine is running its best. That exact temp is determined by a lot of factors, though. So the best you can usually do is dyno the motor, tune for best power (carb jetting, etc.), and note the EGT under those conditions. Then you can re-tune later on when atmospheric conditions or whatever change--get back to that EGT, and you've got the engine back to the same state of (optimal, hopefully!) tune.

At least, that's the way one local 914'er used his.

--DD
Joseph Mills
icon_bump.gif
Elliot_Cannon
EGT is used a lot in piston aircraft engines. The difference is airplane engines are run at somewhat constant power settings and altitudes. EGT is used to adjust the fuel air mixture for best power. Your 914 probably is used at a constant altitude but at many different power settings all the time. DDs advice makes sense. I have oil temp and CHT and am happy with that. EGT would be just another gauge to find a place for.
Elliot Cannon
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.