Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Shift Rod Universal Joint Bushings
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Allan
One of our newest members of the non-club has a missing bushing on his shift rod at the universal joint. I happen to have 2 new ones that were left over from a clutch kit I'm going to give him. Is it doable or a major PITA?
Aaron Cox
havent done mine. it doesnt look so hard.

Hmmm, maybe ill just do mine for fun idea.gif
McMark
Knock out the pin, replace the bushings, grease, reinstall the pin. Easy.
Allan
Cool, I'll let him know...

I love this place. wub.gif
Porsche Rescue
Take the joint to the bench and use a vise as a press to remove/replace the pin. Trying to drive it out leads to broken coupler and $90 cost. Use a bolt slightly smaller in diameter than the pin and press the pin out with bolt on one side, deep socket big enough to accept the pin on the other.
SGB
QUOTE (Porsche Rescue @ Sep 23 2005, 02:43 PM)
Take the joint to the bench and use a vise as a press to remove/replace the pin. Trying to drive it out leads to broken coupler and $90 cost. Use a bolt slightly smaller in diameter than the pin and press the pin out with bolt on one side, deep socket big enough to accept the pin on the other.

Thats the way! Worst part is getting the bellows/ cover thing back onto the firewall. The key for me was CLEAN hands so I could grab the &*%^er and pull it over the lip it has to get around.
McMark
I guess I should have mentioned that I used a bench vise as well. But I just opened the jaws just enough to let the pin pass and had a friend (Hi John!) hole the shifter while I used a punch to knock out the pin. So the shifter section was fully supported.
Cap'n Krusty
"Left over from a clutch kit"? Musta been a REALLY complete kit! "Grease it"? NEVER! The grease'll deteriorate the bushings. The Cap'n.
McMark
Ouch, I got the smack down from the Cap'n. pinch.gif Okay, fine, no grease. dry.gif
Allan
QUOTE (Cap'n Krusty @ Sep 23 2005, 07:07 PM)
Musta been a REALLY complete kit!

It had every freaking bushing you could imagine. C'mon Jon, quit being so Crusty...
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.