Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: OT: MS outlook help
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Aaron Cox
Hey IT and Computer Gurus -

When im at school - i can recieve emails just fine through MS outlook, but can not send through it. Instead, i need to go to my comcast webmail and send from there. (major PITA).

It works fine at home.... but school blocks mail sent from outlook????

help make life convenient for me
Part Pricer

Comcast will only allow you to use their SMTP server if you are on the Comcast network. Your school should allow you to use their SMTP service for outgoing mail.

Dr. Roger
if the school admins will allow you to setup your own pop3 and smtp accounts you should be able to do this.
if not just go for webmail.
Rand
It's pretty common for mail servers to not send mail coming from a computer outside of their network / address space because of spam abuse (spammers would use an "open relay" to get their mail out..... never mind).

Your ISP may actually allow it with authentication though... in Outlook, Tools menu, Accounts.... depends on your version... find the Outgoing mail server properties and check the box about outgoing SMTP server requires authentication.

Or maybe your school has an SMTP server you can use. Get that info from a geek on campus. Add another profile in Outlook that uses their SMTP server.

redshift
You might also try RECEIVE before SEND.

You receive first, by clicking that bar on the right edge of the send mail button.

Depending on the timeouts default. I have to do this, because I have a setup requiring smtp-relay.whatever.me@whereiam.com

M
Aaron Cox
QUOTE (Rand @ Sep 23 2005, 02:14 PM)
It's pretty common for mail servers to not send mail coming from a computer outside of their network / address space because of spam abuse (spammers would use an "open relay" to get their mail out..... never mind).

Your ISP may actually allow it with authentication though... in Outlook, Tools menu, Accounts.... depends on your version... find the Outgoing mail server properties and check the box about outgoing SMTP server requires authentication.

Or maybe your school has an SMTP server you can use. Get that info from a geek on campus. Add another profile in Outlook that uses their SMTP server.

it already has my login info....and the box is already checked Rand...

any other ideas? web mail licks nuts
Rand
Use your school's SMTP server. Tackle a geek on campus and make him talk.... or see if the IT guys will give you the server info... smtp.yourschool.edu?
Aaron Cox
QUOTE (Rand @ Sep 23 2005, 02:39 PM)
Use your school's SMTP server. Tackle a geek on campus and make him talk.... or see if the IT guys will give you the server info... smtp.yourschool.edu?

im sooo lost now. fuck the school email. i auto fwd it to my comcast email.

its the comcast email i can send from through outlook anymore. so route my comcast email through the schools mail server? confused24.gif
Rand
If your school's mail server is available, this will be very simple and you'll still be able to use Outlook and your Comcast account.

You'll be able to tell Outlook about your school's mail server and it will use that server to send the mail. You won't have to use your school account or anything, you'll just be bouncing your outgoing mail off their box.

If you can find out about your school's SMTP mail server, we can lead you through the Outlook setup.
SirAndy
QUOTE (Part Pricer @ Sep 23 2005, 02:08 PM)
Comcast will only allow you to use their SMTP server if you are on the Comcast network.

agree.gif some internet providers have outgoing traffic on port 25 blocked.
they usually don't tell you that, you have to call them up and ask for them to unblock you.

SPAM control, they call it ...
wacko.gif Andy
Aaron Cox
can i just change the port number??
redshift
I found out Aaron's problem..

This is his email addy:

Aaron Cox
14361 Route 9
Coronal Mass Ejection, Ca. 666914-914

rolleyes.gif
SirAndy
QUOTE (Aaron Cox @ Sep 23 2005, 03:54 PM)
can i just change the port number??

if you also change the port number on your email SERVER to match the outlook change ... rolleyes.gif

so, i'm guessing *NOT* ...

i have seen this many times now, certain ISPs simply block ports, even if your (or your schools) firewall let's them through just fine.
usually, firewalls let ALL port traffic through that goes *out*, they only block incoming traffic ...

anyways, i suspect that is your problem. only way to solve this is to call up your schools ISP and give them hell about it ...
wink.gif Andy
Twystd1
Two things could be happening (as stated above)

- Your school is blocking port 25
or
- Comcast won't allow you to use their SMTP server to send emails because you are not connected on their network.

What is the error that you are getting when you try to send?
If you are getting a 0x800CCC0D, 0x800CCC0E, or a "timeout" error then most likely you are being blocked. In any case please post the error message you are getting (in the "send/receive" window, go to the "errors" tabs and look up the error and the error number.
Once we know for sure which problem it is it will be easier to work around it.

Da Shizl.....
Aaron Cox
QUOTE (Twystd1 @ Sep 23 2005, 04:55 PM)
Two things could be happening (as stated above)

or
- Comcast won't allow you to use their SMTP server to send emails because you are not connected on their network.

What is the error that you are getting when you try to send?
If you are getting a 0x800CCC0D, 0x800CCC0E, or a "timeout" error then most likely you are being blocked. In any case please post the error message you are getting (in the "send/receive" window, go to the "errors" tabs and look up the error and the error number.
Once we know for sure which problem it is it will be easier to work around it.

Da Shizl.....

im guessing number 2....

works fine AT home ON comcast network....

ill get the error code...

Thanks Claydog cool.gif
Aaron Cox
error codes....
swl
QUOTE (Twystd1 @ Sep 23 2005, 03:55 PM)
or

Both should be true.

The block on port 25 is a courtesy to the network. Most spam being sent out these days are from hijacked PC's. Blocking 25 except for accredited mail servers has become SOP particularly in the .edu world.

#2 is also standard netiquette for the same reason. Also important to keep from being blacklisted.

Follow Rands advise - he has it right. 'cept for the part about tackling a geek - they are fragile. Just offer them caffine and they will set it up for you. Or call the help desk and ask them how to set up your outbound server address to use the school mail server.
Rand
I'll bet a beer that setting the outgoing (smtp) mail server in Outlook to smtp.csupomona.edu will work. That is until you get home. biggrin.gif

It is possible they will require authentication as well though. In which case you'll have to put your school's email account info in the "Log on using" dialog of the Outgoing Server properties. This would only be for authenticating - you'll still use your Comcast account/address for mail.
Aaron Cox
QUOTE (Rand @ Sep 23 2005, 08:20 PM)
I'll bet a beer that setting the outgoing (smtp) mail server in Outlook to smtp.csupomona.edu will work. That is until you get home. biggrin.gif

home now (laundry day) smile.gif

carlos (carlitos way) suggested having a home profile and away profile....
might not be the right terminology he used

AA
Rand
Yep. Another profile is a good idea. Mentioned that in my first post.
Aaron Cox
thank you again for all your help guys - pray.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.