Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: SSI question
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Brando
I have a pair of early 2.0 SSI HEs... Two large port to two large port.

I bought a bunch of heater parts from SLITS a while ago (awesome deal!) and at Joe Buckle's BBQ a month ago I tried getting the "elbow" pieces that go between the HEs and heater flappers into the HEs... No luck. Looks like the HE's ports for the elbows are a bit mishapen.

My question is... how can I reshape them to get the elbows to work? I have mostly hand tools at my disposal. No super-large vice-grips or anything. Minor metalworking tools. Cutting and re-welding isn't an option...

Any advice is apprecieated. TIA!

smile.gif
bd1308
dude you got a louisville slugger right, take the bottom end of the bat and work it through and use the bat to push the offending sides out.

this is assuming of course that the diameter of the bat end (hand grip) is smaller than the inside diameter of the J pipes....

J pipes' outside diameter is a little smaller than a coke can....bc that's what was used to block off those ports.
SirAndy
QUOTE (Brando @ Sep 23 2005, 07:27 PM)
how can I reshape them to get the elbows to work?

are you sure it's the HE's that are out of whack? i have touched many SSI HE's and i never had any fitting issues ...

wink.gif Andy
SGB
my SSIs were a TIGHT but perfect fit. I actually was surprised b/c I didn't think they were going on. I did use needle nose pliers to straighten up the edge at a couple of spots (not much though).
rhodyguy
the warm air elbows (not j tubes rolleyes.gif ) should fit. borrow a hammer and dolly or buy a cheap set at harbor freight. they should angle outboard when you get them on.

k
Brando
Thanks for the input guys...

lol "j-tubes"... J-Tubes are for Type 1's... biggrin.gif

My dad and I are going to Harbor Frieght in a bit to get a "muffler expander" to open the ports up.

I checked it out again... The holes on the heat exhangers are oblongated while the holes on the heater elbows are nearly round.

If we can't get the expander, we're going to the salvation army for a baseball bat smile.gif
bd1308
ya know what i mean dude...
rhodyguy
using the proper name for a part can be crutial at times. if you posted a "want to buy j-tubes" when what you needed was warm air elbows, you'd be screwed. j-tubes in black, warm air elbows in grey.

k
bd1308
rhody, take a look at the grey part.....

look closely

DOES THAT LOOK LIKE A J?

where i come from a J looks like a J.... tongue.gif

but yes i do understand your point.....

wink.gif

b
rhodyguy
what's your point? there's a BETTER picture. now, from my point of view the BLACK part looks like a J and the GREY one looks like a tube with a slight angle on one end. but than what do i know? well i do i know MY CAR IS NOT SITTING ON THE SIDE OF A FREEWAY!! nor are my carb jets all plugged up with shit. nor do i drive around with coke cans taped over openings for the heating system. learn the correct terms before you start handing out a bunch of MIS-information, dude.

k
bd1308
my car is back here.

i bet your 914 isnt your daily driver.....

point is that whatever they are called were mis-shapen and i offered advice on how to correct it....doesnt matter what part it is.

b
rhodyguy
back now. playing semantics? well it wasn't back now when i logged on this am. i'll take that bet. $200, or can you afford to lose more? right, a weber is a weber and a heat exchanger is a heat exchanger. i told you yest you were going to fuck up your car if you drove it.

k
bd1308
whats YOUR point?

since your obviously obsessed with my car activities i'll give you a complete list of what i did today

11:48AM- called tow company, gave them cc number over phone
11:52AM- sat down to eat lunch
12:04PM- tow driver called saying he was at campus with my car
12:06PM- met tow driver and he lowered the car near a spot
12:06:30PM- i bumpstarted the thing into its present spot

would you like a picture of the car?

and yes you did say that, and ya know what....I think it's NOT the carb, as soon as i empty the tank, i'll show you the rust all over the fuel sock filter....
rhodyguy
obsessed? not quite. your prattling on tends to make me want to pull what little hair i have left out. just don't identify parts, when you don't know what the correct term of the item is. i won't be rude and say "when you don't know what the fuck you're talking about". we'll be waiting with baited breath for your fuel tank updates. don't fuck up the washer removing the fuel outlet. now, about the bet... that's my POINT!!!

k
bd1308
and we woudn't want to have you without hair....

please don't pull your hair out on MY account...
Brando
hijacked.gif chairfall.gif lol2.gif

As britt dodd and rhodyguy have pointed out, I was able to install the elbows. The expander worked great. I went kind of slow as not to break the spot welds on the outside. Got the driver's side all hooked up, but reached a problem on the passenger's side... The neoprene heater tube from the body to the "heater flapper" (notice I didnt say "clapper", "clamshell", "spring-loaded-box with asbestos", etc) broke before and the DAPO cut it shorter instead of replacing it.

Anyone got a spare? smile.gif
bd1308
i've got a spare one, where do you want it?
Brando
You've got a PM. thanks dood! biggrin.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.