Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Second Gear Syncro
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Tom73
The 2nd gear syncro on my '71 is just about gone, have to shift to second very slowly to keep from grinding.

Was wondering what it would cost, ballpark figure, to have the syncro replaced?

Also, know of any shop in Central Texas, or Texas in general, that you would recommend?

tom...

user posted image
bd1308
things are very expensive....

synchros are like not much ballpark like 100 bucks,

but since your grinding, you need new sliders and things....adds up real quickly....like hundreds more....

somebody needs to make a run of 901 parts....
jr91472
Please define "central", there are several places in around Dallas....

As to cost, who knows..... confused24.gif

That is what most shops told me last year, because, "I don't know what I will find when I get in there...."

syncros aren't too expensive, but the other stuff you might need are.....

sorry, not much help sad.gif
Tom73
QUOTE (jr91472 @ Sep 24 2005, 09:35 AM)
Please define "central", there are several places in around Dallas....

Central Texas as in the Austin Metro area.
Cap'n Krusty
QUOTE (bd1308 @ Sep 24 2005, 09:32 AM)
things are very expensive....

synchros are like not much ballpark like 100 bucks,

but since your grinding, you need new sliders and things....adds up real quickly....like hundreds more....

somebody needs to make a run of 901 parts....

Don't forget the 400 bucks worth of bearings you'll need ................. The Cap'n
bd1308
good point ....

just get the OE stuff....don't look around for things that "fit".

the one to talk to is probably Red-Beard. He does some type of rebuilding. I don't know the details, but I'm assuming he'll answer the question better.

Edit: Oh and you should always check the level of gear oil. If it gets low, the intermediate bearing won't get the cooling it yearns for....as it is anyway, it only gets a small spritzing of gear oil every so often when full.....
Dr Evil
Contact Red-beard here on the board as he lives in Houston and has worked on a bunch of these. He taught me everything that I know and I have done quite a few myself. He is listed in the vendors section. The bearings are no longer $400, they are about $150 ea x2 and are much better thatn the originals if you even need them. You are lucky if it is only second as the parts are much cheaper. THe dog teeth should be below $150, if you need them. The synchro bands were $66 last I saw. What I would immagine you needing is at the worst:1 synchro, 2nd gear slider, 2nd dog teeth. I recommend searching for the prices of everything first. I like GPR for my parts as they are usually the cheapest and have always given me dependible service. If you have any questions or concerns, feel free to PM me.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.