Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: lug nuts
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
goose2
I'm collecting the rest of the bits I'll need to do my 911 brake conversion and get Boxster rims mounted. It seems the rims have a ball type seating surface for the lugs and I can't seem to find lug nuts to match (the Boxster uses bolts, I think). All of the 14x1.5 thread lug nuts I've found have the 60 degree conical seat. Is it safe to use a conical nut on a ball seat wheel? Could the wheel seats be reshaped? Is there a conical to ball seat washer/adaptor? I know at least a couple of you out there are using Boxster rims....how did you bolt them on? confused24.gif
ArtechnikA
QUOTE (goose2 @ Sep 24 2005, 01:59 PM)
...All of the 14x1.5 thread lug nuts I've found have the 60 degree conical seat....

all standard Porsche lug nuts have ball seats...

the usual suspects have steel lug nuts for about $2 each.
or you can get the aluminum nuts for a bunch more if you insist.
bd1308
i dont see why you couldn't reshape the ball shaped seats into conical seats.....

also don't see why you couldn't make an adaptor.....

b
gklinger
QUOTE (bd1308 @ Sep 24 2005, 11:24 AM)
i dont see why you couldn't reshape the ball shaped seats into conical seats.....

b

although it would undoubtedly be cheaper, safer and easier to just get the correct nuts... wacko.gif
goose2
all standard Porsche lug nuts have ball seats...

True, but I was looking for bling...long chrome ones...shoulda been more specific. Anyway just found some on eBay...50 bucks for new, ball seat. Thanks all biggrin.gif
bd1308
well the correct ones are always the best....

glad you found them
ArtechnikA
QUOTE (goose2 @ Sep 24 2005, 03:17 PM)
...I was looking for bling...long chrome ones......

a few suppliers do the aluminum nuts polished.
*always* use anti-sieze with aluminum nuts...
Allan
You might take a look here.
rhodyguy
no, no, no!!! get a big file, some scrap metal, and adapt them. maybe you can pound some coke cans flat. that way they'll be really light weight.

k
Mueller
QUOTE (bd1308 @ Sep 24 2005, 11:24 AM)

b

wow, some people really scare me...thank god you are on the other side of the states wacko.gif
rhodyguy
me too.

k
bd1308
i'm glad i live here too.

goose2
maybe you can pound some coke cans flat

if the bolts wern't so thick, I could just put the wheels on and bend em over...lighter yet
bd1308
why is it that what the PO did is my responsibility?

explain why conical seats are different than ball seats?
Mueller
QUOTE (bd1308 @ Sep 24 2005, 03:13 PM)
why is it that what the PO did is my responsibility?

explain why conical seats are different than ball seats?

you are kidding correct?

conical = V shaped mating surfaces

ball = round shaped mating surfaces

you want the maximum amount of contacting surfaces to provide friction

trying make one work with the other is foolish...the car is yours now, it's your responsebility to fix it correctly and question everything...your life as well as others might depend on it....

bd1308
so tell me, how when torqued correctly to the specified rating...and for ordinary circumstances (not racing) how one would be better than the other?

hey can you ACTUALLY believe that my steelies DIDNT have ball seats?

yet they worked for 30 years....

kinda mind blowing, dont ya think?
Aaron Cox
QUOTE (bd1308 @ Sep 24 2005, 05:47 PM)
so tell me, how when torqued correctly to the specified rating...and for ordinary circumstances (not racing) how one would be better than the other?

which has more surface area? a V or a U

EDITED....
slap.gif
Mueller
QUOTE (bd1308 @ Sep 24 2005, 05:47 PM)

your steelies are ball seat...........mine in the garage are as well as everyone elses
that came from a 914 or VW bug

find a conical lug bolt for a 14mm stud and see how much gap you have between the surfaces............

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.