Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 914 Club Member Places 2nd in Mid Ohio!
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Jake Raby
Just got a phone call from Jake (this is his girlfriend Beth).

The E Production race just finished up and after qualifying in 20th position, Eric Madsen finished the race in 2nd!!!!

smilie_pokal.gif

seanery
clap.gif clap.gif clap.gif clap.gif clap.gif
Cap'n Krusty
Think I'll have a beer in celebration! The Cap'n
jd74914
smilie_pokal.gif smilie_pokal.gif
watsonrx13
Congratulations Eric smilie_pokal.gif smilie_pokal.gif biggrin.gif
GaroldShaffer
boldblue.gif clap.gif smilie_pokal.gif aktion035.gif driving.gif
Aaron Cox
nice!

how did the type IV guys do? (f prod)
rick 918-S
Dude! pray.gif clap.gif rocking nana.gif monkeydance.gif
J P Stein
Outstanding smilie_pokal.gif
Jeroen
WAY TO GO ERIC ! ! !
smilie_pokal.gif smilie_pokal.gif smilie_pokal.gif
Thorshammer
Thanks guys!

One helluva race I gotta say. It was a crash fest. two double course yellows, one black flag (race stopped) and a great drive to get into position to get second.

The inital start of 52 cars was interesting to say the least. Several cars were out in the second turn including the pole sitter, who went hard into the wall (uninjured). I had to avoid the spinning mess , and did a little farming and lost some positions, but regained them quickly and on lap 7 posted the fastest lap that lap. 1:36.1. better than my qualifying time. Anyway, I moved up to 11th before the black flag for a major incident on the front straight away.

During the restart after the black flag, we got to racing, and I got a good jump out of the Keyhole, and drove up on the pack. Down the back straight, the rubber smoke was flying off of the cars, and we were'nt even in the brake zone yet. So the leaders hit each other, and I took the low line following a Rx7,Caterham,Prelude and a TR6 , we were nut to butt for another lap, and I got a great run through the keyhole and went the long way around the Rx7 and out braked him into the right hander off the back straight. But the leader and second place cars (TR6&Prelude) decided they were going to bang each other a bit, allowing the Caterham to go around the outside for the lead. Over the hill corner they call "madness" and down the hill to the right hander, the TR6 and the Prelude started bangin each other again, they both ended up wide to the left in the grass, when the TR6 shot back across the track, I grabbed second gear and split the two, the TR6 on the right sliding out of shape, and the Prelude on the left on the grass. The caterham was 8-9 car lengths in front of me, and I set off to catch him, but did'nt know this was the last lap due to the time and the black flags.

I accomplished my goal: Qualify in the top 20 at the Runoffs, finish in the top ten. Thanks to everyone who supported the tent and club, and has offered and provided support. I carried the flag as well as I could, and at least 10 new people know there is a 914 club.

Thanks Again,

Erik Madsen SCCA EP Runoffs #2
Mugs914
Way to go Erik! monkeydance.gif monkeydance.gif monkeydance.gif

Congrats on a great drive!!
Trekkor
Fantastic smilie_pokal.gif

Way to be...

KT
redshift
Erik! Yo! GOOD DEAL MAN!

smilie_pokal.gif

Congrats, it sounds like an exciting race, and well driven!

M
Rleog
Fantastic job, Erik! That sounds like an incredible drive; I can't wait for Speed Channel to show it.

Even if you hadn't been on the podium, I'm sure that you would have felt fine about the whole week. Now, a second at the Runoffs......you make all of us proud, man.

Hope someone has some pics. Our 914 hats are off to ya... beer.gif
URY914
Great job. Sometimes its about being at the right place at the right time and knowing how to do the right thing.

Paul
DNHunt
Let's get a pic of Eric next to his car and use it as the picture on the site's homepage. It seems like a little hero worship might be appropriate. pray.gif pray.gif pray.gif pray.gif pray.gif

Dave
guywan914
smilie_pokal.gif smilie_pokal.gif smilie_pokal.gif smilie_pokal.gif Congrts Eric 2nd is awesome. Now let's get behind the f prod race today.
Part Pricer

Race 15: E Production
Kim Knapp, of Avon, Colo., captured his first National Championship Saturday, taking the E Production class win at the 2005 SCCA National Championship Runoffs® Presented by Kohler at Mid-Ohio Sports Car Course. Erik Madsen, of Lakeville, Ohio, and Sam Halkias, of Westerville, Ohio, completed the top-three.

The largest field at the 2005 Runoffs, 50-cars, the start of E Production race was sure to be exciting. Starting from the pole position, Tom Thrash appeared to get a good start, maintaining the lead down the back straight. Exiting turn seven, Thrash and fellow front-row starter Buddy Norton III made contact with one another. Going off-course, Thrash made heavy contact with the tire barrier, while Norton III slowed, losing numerous positions.

Benefiting from the incident, Lawrence Loshak moved into the lead, ahead of Knapp and Pratt Cole. With a full-course caution displayed for the incident, racing resumed on lap three. Getting a great jump, Bob Neal passed several cars down the front to move into second place. Racing nose-to-tail, Loshak led a train of cars until lap 10, when racing was halted for heavy contact between Paul Pineider and Jon Brakke at the start/finish.

Following a 15-minute stoppage, the race resumed with green, white, checkered sprint to the finish. Entering turn seven on the restart, Loshak and Neal made contact, with both cars going off-course.
As several cars got into the grass to avoid the incident, John Schmitt inherited the lead ahead of Knapp and Halkias. Racing side-by-side on the final lap, Halkias briefly passed for the lead in turn seven, before Knapp, using the wide line through the turn vaulted into the led. Losing momentum, Halkias was then passed by Morton. Driving error free the remainder of the race, Knapp captured his first National Championship by 1.939 seconds over Morton, who finished second in his first career Runoffs start.

“The restart was tough,” said Knapp. “It was too slow and everyone ahead of me went to the right. I went to the left and went past all of them. It was lots of fun and real exciting. You just have to avoid all the troubles and hope that you get through.”
Schmitt, of Sunbury, Ohio, finished fourth, and Jeff Dernehl, of Woodstock, Ga., completed the top-five.

No. 20 Erik Madsen wins the Sunoco Hard Charger Award for advancing 17 positions, to finish second after starting 19th.
J P Stein
Morton? Madsen?......oh well, starts with "M" & ends with "n"....close enuff you idiot.
red911
Congratulations Eric,

I had the pleasure of assisting (a very little) Eric prior to his departure for Mid-Ohio, from Massachusetts, not Ohio.

The reasons Eric finished second are clear to me:

1. Ex-motorcycle racer. Eric knows how to apex and pass as a two wheel racer only knows. This talent allows Eric to sense the competition's weaknesses and know the track strengths.

2. Mechanical knowledge. As a factory rep for a major motorcycle company, Eric's engine and suspension education and experience allows him to "super tune" whatever vehicle he is working on at the time. Note, Eric's garage is full of other 914's, 944's, racing motorcycles and engines.

3. Family support. Eric's wife is very supportive of his efforts and is a superstar in her own right. She coaches a high school soccer team that has not lost in seven years!

4. The right people at the right time. Eric has the ability to pull in the right people at the right time for the right job. For example, Ed Givler, an engineer and legend on the East Coast racing scene for decades was called in to "stack" the gears in Eric's Hewland gearbox. What better person to do that then Ed. (Ed and Kathy called me from Mid Ohio to tell us the results after the race - thanks Ed and Kathy!!). I worked hand in hand with both Peters who assist Eric in fabrication and support for a few nights prior to the runoffs. Great to work with them.

5. Hard work. You have to know Eric and just how hard he works and how focused he in preparing the car. He completely tore down and totally rebuilt the 914 from the last National race to the runoffs. He worked a full time job and stayed up until 4 AM many nights preparing the car. This dedication to details that others would just not care about allowed Eric to have full confidence in his car and drive it to 10/10's.

Eric, your deserve this victory!!

Congratulations, Tom
groot
Eric drove a great race and we're all very happy he did so well. Really great driving, Eric!!

I started in 42nd and improved to 33rd... mostly due to attrition. I did move up ~10 spots on the first lap, but the engine didn't run on all 4 cylinders for the whole race, so I lost many of those spots once we hit the straights. The junkyard dog engine didn't hold up...... next year will be better for sure.

On another note, my very pregnant wife accompanied me to the race on Saturday. We got up at 4 and drove down to M-O for practice and then the race. She was a trooper and even hung around for the picnic/BBQ that the 914club held... THANKS AGAIN!!!!!!!!!!

We got home around 11:30 and just a scant 3 hours later, we went to the hospital. Then at 4:23 am we had our first child... Zachery Alexander Groot. Wow, what a day.
SpecialK
QUOTE (groot @ Sep 25 2005, 09:12 AM)
Eric drove a great race and we're all very happy he did so well. Really great driving, Eric!!

I started in 42nd and improved to 33rd... mostly due to attrition. I did move up ~10 spots on the first lap, but the engine didn't run on all 4 cylinders for the whole race, so I lost many of those spots once we hit the straights. The junkyard dog engine didn't hold up...... next year will be better for sure.

On another note, my very pregnant wife accompanied me to the race on Saturday. We got up at 4 and drove down to M-O for practice and then the race. She was a trooper and even hung around for the picnic/BBQ that the 914club held... THANKS AGAIN!!!!!!!!!!

We got home around 11:30 and just a scant 3 hours later, we went to the hospital. Then at 4:23 am we had our first child... Zachery Alexander Groot. Wow, what a day.

Wow!! What a weekend you guys had! smilie_pokal.gif

Congratulations Erik on a hard earned 2nd! beerchug.gif

And, congratulations Groot for finishing (no small feat in itself pray.gif ), and especially your new son Zachery! biggrin.gif
SirAndy
QUOTE (Jake Raby @ Sep 24 2005, 02:23 PM)
The E Production race just finished up and after qualifying in 20th position, Eric Madsen finished the race in 2nd!!!!

smilie_pokal.gif that's pretty impressive!

driving.gif Andy
GaroldShaffer
QUOTE (groot @ Sep 25 2005, 07:12 AM)

Kevin, that is awesome. Congrats on the little one smilie_pokal.gif
Jeroen
Congrats Kevin!!!
groot
QUOTE (groot @ Sep 25 2005, 07:12 AM)

Thanks, guys. I need to correct my spelling mistake on our boy's name... it's: Zachary Joseph Groot.

It's very surreal... I competed in my first Runoffs and had this child in the small space of less than 12 hours. A little overwhelming.
Brando
Erik: Proving that 914s still kick ass in modern competition biggrin.gif This brew's in your honor man! beer.gif *opens a cold one*

Kevin, grats on the new son! Is he going to be into racing like his dad?
drew365
QUOTE (J P Stein @ Sep 25 2005, 06:26 AM)
Morton? Madsen?......oh well, starts with "M" & ends with "n"....close enuff you idiot.

I read the story about 6 times trying to figure out what he was trying to say.
Congradulations Eric, sounds like one to remember. Hope you got video.
Jake Raby
After seeing it all first hand all I can say is that Erik is one AWESOME FUCKIN DRIVER!!! He did everything right, and definately deserves that hard charger award! The podium position could not have went to a better driver!

Kevin is no slouch either, he was turning times that were INCREDIBLE with a 110 HP engine, that sometimes had 2 cylinders! I can't wait till I give that guy a REAL engine (next season). Kevin made it all year through hardships, and all with a marginal, patched up engine that Len and I had to do a field valve job on under the tent so it would even finish the race... Kevin deserves a big pat on the back- BTW congrats on the son Kevin, remember what I said, 13mm wrench!

Once again congrats Erik!
Rockaria
Second place? You know what they say?

Second Place is the FIRST looser! wink.gif

Just kiddin'
Quilmes
Eric and Kevin Congratulations on taking the 914 flag to Mid-Ohio and showing everyone that it can be done.
Eric that was a great race as that track has many tricky turns especially when you have to follow two fighting cars waiting for them to make a mistake. That takes great patience and skill to proceed and win. As you did

Again great race and congratulations.
Kevin Congratulations on your new born and race.

Of course we all would like to see the video.

Quilmes
william harris
You did us all proud. Now, will somebody please post some pictures for those of us who are arm chair racers and need to see what all the fun was about? Please? biggrin.gif
Thorshammer
Thanks again for the accolades.

I want to say thanks to a few people:

To my wife Trish: It is an obsession, Thanks for supporting me when at times I did'nt deserve it.

My Mom Dorothy: 77 Years old and trekked out to the Runoffs. If she had'nt been along for the ride, I would have been at the bottom of a gully in PA, Thanks for waking me up on the ride home last night.

Dylan Madsen (my 3 1/2 Year old Son): We have lost too much time together this year. So get ready, the fun is about to commence. Prepare to be spoiled!

Nancy Madsen: My contingency check from Goodyear was due to having the right presentation on my drivers suit as well as my car, Thanks.

CFR Welding: Chris and Mary were great, if you ever want to see what marriage is supposed to look like, watch these two. It's teamwork and compromise, nothing more, nothing less. Oh,and better hotel room aktion035.gif

Tom Gentz: Thanks for coming to buff and wet sand the car, it looked great, many people commented how nice the car looked.

Ed Givler: Ed restacked the Hewland trans when I was into the 11th hour. I knew it was done right, and was one thing I did'nt have to worry about. He was also at the track and assisted in many operations.

Cathy: Cathy is Ed s wife, I want to Thank You for taking care of me during impound. I was about to pass out from lack of food. And breakfast was great.

Pete Agapoglou: You did alright kid, it stayed together and we did what we set out to do.

Dmitry Slootskin and Stuart: They are not a members here, but really got me hooked up with paint for the car, Shirts and drove all the way from Providence RI to help crew the car for the vital first couple days. Dmitry owns Ink Solutions in RI a screen printing company. 401-241-7043. Give him a call. Stuart is a guy that can get anything done, Stui get some gas, Stui go check on the Fed Ex shipment of wheel studs, Never a complaint, just a team guy that knew his jobs were important, even though he was'nt always working on the car. You need a guy like this on your crew, and he's big so if any fights break out..... LOL

Tom and Linda Burdge: Thanks for your support this weekend, it was a blast.

John Andruk at Circle Performance: John did the machine work for my engine. Helped me decide on some different camshaft profiles and lent an ear when I needed one, not that his middle name is Vincent or anything. 508-580-5844 He also did the machine work for Hotchkiss motors.

Keven Groot: I don't know if this is true, but about 1 hour before our race I would have sworn your wife started having some contractions, I have never forgot that look on my wifes face. Congratulations on your son, the racecar will pale in comparison to what you will achieve with him. Also thanks for the suspension discussion, I revised my rear alignment specs just before the race, and it helped a bunch.

Chicken Hawk Racing: Thanks to my tire warmers, I had good grip life at the end of the race, Thanks Dave for all of your support.

Bucci Autobody: Thanks guys the car looked great.

BA Chassis: John Agor and his wife Diane have been extremely helpful, from fabricating roll bars on the spot to using their scales to corner balance my car.

Goodyear Tires, Tony Torgerson: I got support from Tony and his company when It wan't asked for, and their contibution to my program, made this possible.

Lighthouse animal and pest Control: They are in Middle boro MA, and Pete Cheney pledged his support when he saw I was struggling.

Jake Raby and Len Hoffman:
Great to finally meet you guys. I know th 914 world is in great hands. These guys REALLY know their stuff.

Foreign Intrigue: 800-800-8070, got me Porsche parts I needed when I needed them.

914 Club.com Members:
Craig Shields, Awesome cooking man,your help was very much appreciated. Grill master
Mark Peebles and John Snodgrass: Thanks for your guys help this weekend, especially in impound.
Sean, Moron Throttle Graphics, Hope you liked the sticker placement, got you some Speedvision time from what I understand.
To all members that contributed to the Tent fund: We did something no one else could do. Put all the racing 914's together. Wait till you see the photo we get from the Daniel Manzier the photographer. his work is tremendous.

So many others, but these are the main ones.

Thanks to all of you that made this possible for me.

Erik C. Madsen EP 914-6

lotus_65
anyone in w/speedvision to give us a heads up on an airing? i'd love to watch it!
Thorshammer
December 11th at 1:00pm, I will be having a party at my house, RSVP by PM. No colds please baby girl will be born just three weeks earlier. Still trying to pick out a name, I tried Portia, but my wife vetoed it, I can't say I blame her.

Erik
IronHillRestorations
Way to go Erik!!!

It's good to see someone do so well with our "dorky car"!!

BTW, did anyone notice the TTOD at the PCA Parade was also one of these "dorky cars"???
ChrisFoley
Major congratulations to you Erik!!!!!! smilie_pokal.gif

Words can't say how proud Mary and I are of you! pray.gif

I can't wait to watch the Speed coverage, especially the post race interviews. happy11.gif
dion9146
Congrats Eric. I've been attending the Runoffs every year since it moved to Mid-Ohio and have never been more proud to be a 914 owner. I was also sitting between two Triumph fans during your race and couldn't have asked for a better finish.

I'm currently racing Formula Vees, but it sure looked like fun in a 914 out there... idea.gif

Of course Mark Hotchkis winning FP in a 914 wasn't a bad finish either! smilie_pokal.gif

Congrats to you and your Wife on your newborn as well.

Dion
Gint
Congratualtions Eric! smilie_pokal.gif beer.gif
Jake Raby
Erik,
Your accomplishments this weekend really helped to further inpsire Len and I to keep the 914 engine program up- despite the fact that its a lot of work when we have much more profitable things to spend our time on.

Guys: I don't get the chance to meet very many 914 club members, because I generally hang out here on my hill and don't get out much... Erik is one dedicated hard charger that deserved this podium finish.

Hey Erik,
I think its time we start talking.... happy11.gif
Eric_Shea
smilie_pokal.gif WTG E.
Verruckt
WTG Erik! smilie_pokal.gif

Groot congrats on the accomplishment! Oh yeah, and making the Runoffs ain't too bad either1 wink.gif

Everyone that helped out in anyway, deserves a big pat on the back. This is awesome news! biggrin.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.