Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Fuel Pump Relocation
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
billd
While I was putting in my SS fuel lines I figured that I might as well relocate the pump to the front trunk at the same time. I moved mine next to the right headlight - the location recommended in the Automotion kit. I'm not entirely happy with this location. It does make it easy to change the fuel filter, but it leaves exposed fuel hoses in the front trunk and is quite vulnerable in the event of a front-end collision. I've acquired a 75-76 fuel-pump "blister" and am planning to relocate the pump again to the 75-76 location - under the left side of the fuel tank. If anyone has measurements on exactly where to cut the hole, let me know.

Here are some pictures of the current pump installation. The first shows the "Y" connection under the fuel tank. This later came out when I discovered that my original pump didn't work and I upgraded to a 75-76 pump.
billd
The shock mounts bolted to the side of the trunk.
billd
A 1.5 inch hole is cut in the bulkhead between the tank and the front trunk and the three hoses are run through this hole.
billd
A wire is run from the engine compartment along the tunnel - with the rest of the harness - and through the front firewall to supply power to the pump. The pump ground comes from a screw into the body near the pump. Here is a picture of the original pump installed in its new location.
billd
At this point I hooked power up (not shown), jumped across the fuel pump relay and ... nothing. The pump was completely seized. Since I needed to buy a new pump, I opted to upgrade to the newer pump used on the 75-76 model. This pump only has two connections (in and out) and has an 11mm connection to the fuel filter (the in side). The pump has a smaller diameter than the old pump, so I fabricated a rubber spacer to hold the new pump in the old mount. I had to tank the fuel pump out again to remove the "Y" connection (I was almost able to do this through the service hole under the tank, but I couldn't get to one hose clamp).

This picture shows the new pump. It also shows the electrical connections that were missing from the picture above.

At this point I jumpered the fuel pump relay and I got a happy noise. I hooked up the fuel pressure gauge and adjusted the regulator to get 30psi. I then decided to run a flow test. I ran a hose from where the cold-start valve connects into a jar and ran the pump. I got a good flow at first and then it slowed to a trickle. The net flow was way below spec. I got the same result when testing right at the pump output. I finally traced the problem to a kinked supply hose under the tank (the down side of a long service loop). I was able to unkink this through the service hole under the tank and the pump produced 24oz of fuel in 15sec - well above spec.

Using the pump I went on to test all four injectors. They all produced identical amounts of fuel and all had great spray patterns.

Now I just need to install the rest of the EFI system - and of course relocate the pump again - to its final resting place.
billd
One more thing. I do not recommend the Automation kit for fuel pump relocation for four reasons:
1. I don't like the exposed location in the front trunk.
2. The kit supplied hose clamps that were *way* too big. There were supposed to be some clamps for 7mm hose and some for 9mm hose, but all the clamps provided were more suitable for 20mm hose. I didn't use a single one of their clamps. The clamps I did use are the right size but aren't great. When I move the pump again, I'm going to find some T-bolt clamps of the right size.
3. The kit was supposed to provide 12 feet of wire for the electrical connection. Instead it provided 12 inches.
4. I sent three e-mails to Performance Products complaining about the hose clamps and missing wire. Eventually I just gave up and got clamps and wire locally.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.