Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: OT: Mars Observation Party
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
SirAndy
for all you hobby astronomers (like myself),
there's a Mars Observation Party at the Chabot Space Center here in Oakland on August 26 from 9 pm - 1 am ...

you'll get a chance for a closer look at Mars through their 36" Telescope. plus, you'll get to chat with me for free!

$11 ducks to get in.

Party like a Martian ...

Andy
EdwardBlume
Will they be checking out Uranus too? (HA HA) bootyshake.gif
SirAndy
QUOTE(cavwpguy @ Aug 5 2003, 10:09 PM)
Will they be checking out Uranus too? (HA HA) bootyshake.gif

more likely Uranus ...
laugh.gif
EdwardBlume
My wife and I are cracking up over here! laugh.gif
Brad Roberts
How about YOU (Andy) show up for FREE to my shop and WORK On your car that night instead ?? Just a thought...

B
SirAndy
QUOTE(Brad Roberts @ Aug 5 2003, 10:12 PM)
How about YOU (Andy) show up for FREE to my shop and WORK On your car that night instead ?? Just a thought...

naaa, working on my car is fun, but it's even more fun to look at Uranus ...
cool.gif
tod914
Nah, they both stink
SirAndy
how did this topic go from

boldblue.gif having a fun night watching Mars while it is as close as it'll get in our lifetime (unless you plan on lurking around for the next 60000 years)

to

icon8.gif Brad's Asshole ???

huh? confused24.gif
SirAndy
bump!

tonight's the night. 9 pm to 1 am ...

see you there ...
Andy
redshift
I am too far away to see Brad's ass from here.

We need an eclipse joke.

M
Hawktel
I'll be looking at it tommorrow night, through a friends 4 inch scope. Before we are going to watch Mars Attacks!

Akk. AKKK. Don't run! We are your Friends!
VegasRacer
Here.

Get a good look.

Happy now?

Good!
Now go and work on your car.
SirAndy
QUOTE(VegasRacer @ Aug 26 2003, 03:04 PM)
Good!
Now go and work on your car.

Brad. is that you? idea.gif
Aaron Cox
lol too frickin funny.....

good one
SirAndy
"Mars seen by Hubble around 5:51 a.m. ET on Aug. 27, during Mars closest approach to Earth in nearly 60,000 years."

pretty, huh?
ChrisReale
Thats a trip. I was looking at it last night through my naked eyeIPB Image, and I was thinking about how far away it was. Nice picture.
Jenny
Brian and I tried to look thru his mead telescope over the weekend. Didn't have it configured correctly, so I didn't see much. Thanks for sharing Andy!! smilie_pokal.gif

Jen
SirAndy
and here's another one they shot this morning ...
ChrisReale
IPB Image
RustyWa
Yup...that's about how it looked in my 6" reflector a few nights ago, of course not that BIG and CLEAR.

You could clearly see the southern ice cap and the dark regions to the south. It is also ALOT brighter, than what that photo shows, looking through my scope. To me, it looks like it loses its color. Almost like an over-exposed image. If I was more of an astronomy buff...I would know if this was normal.

I thought I read somewhere that this, being the closest Mars has been to Earth in 60,000 years, is actually within 1% of the distance it reached back in 1971....(does that make sense....?)
reverie
A green 914, a 6" reflector telescope... idea.gif

Are you "Yob" from that old Chuck Jones cartoon?
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.