Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Most Common Oil Leaks?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
vesnyder
Two questions:

My motor is leaking like a sieve and is leaving oil marks all over the driveway? Some appear to be coming from this location (see photo) - what is this and can it be sealed easily?

Secondly, where is the most common locations for oil leaks? If you could, also provide the solution.

Thanks in advance.
grasshopper
try again with the PIC ~LINK
SirAndy
thisthreadisworthlesswithoutpics.gif
Air_Cooled_Nut
My experience with my motor:

• Oil filter not screwed on all the way
  • Push rod tube seals bad
  • Valve cover gaskets not sealing...unknown why
  • Oil pressure sender not screwed in all the way (the PO did a crappy job w/the 2.0L conversion screwy.gif )

As to the valve cover gaskets, I used NEW non-cork ones and the lower 1/2 leaked. I put in the cork gaskets and no leaks. However, when I put in the cork gaskets I used Gas-A-Cinch (GAC) to hold them to the valve cover whereas with the previous non-cork ones I did not use GAC to hold them...maybe they slipped. When I took the covers off to inspect and swap gaskets the lower gasket (on BOTH covers) had oil all along the head side of the gasket so if they slipped then they slipped the same way. Which would be concievable. My experience in the air-cooled VW world is cork gaskets are the ONLY gasket I'll used on the valve covers (and I don't use GAC to hold the gaskets!) as experience with the rubber/neoprene/what-ever-it-is-type is they do tend to leak. This experience goes with conventional as well as pure synthetic oil.
vesnyder
Pic would help ...

airsix
The more common ones:

• distributor O-ring
  • Oil pressure sender - potting in center eventually starts to leak. Doesn't leak at idle. Hard to detect.
  • push-rod tube seals
  • valve cover gaskets
  • overtightened sump cover

A lot of people have replaced the oil-cooler seals only to find that the leak was actually coming from the oil-pressure sender or the distributor shaft seal.
Allan
Looks to me like your taco plate is leaking...
vesnyder
Looks to me like your taco plate is leaking...

OK - WTH is the taco plate? Is it bad if it is leaking? Can I repair? HELP!
VARam1500
My biggest leak was from oil cooler seals that hardened and shrunk over time. Symptom was oil dripping off the end of the oil filter.
Allan
That round plate with the 2 bolts holding it in is the taco plate. If your running an oil temp gauge it has a sending unit in the middle of it.

You can see the o-ring has protruded out of the edges so maybe if you replace it the leak MAY go away..

It's a simple fix but you will need to drain all the oil......
brp914
I agree with headrage, there seems to be seepage around the Temp sender plate. But fyi, there is an o-ring that goes on the crank behind the fan hub. It does not come with engine gasket kits I've bought recently, so it is easy to miss. If missing, there will be leakage from the front main seal. Another fyi - dont get one of those crappy hecho en mexico oil press. senders. They will leak in no time.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.