Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: I wish I had my camera today
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
campbellcj
My super short-geared 901 trans is going together next week. I am clearly crazy for doing this, but it is part "serious" and part "fun experiment"...

So far it will have certain housing/end cover mods, billet int. plate, new repro 904 mainshaft (a gorgeous piece), very rare NOS 904 Ga 2nd gearset, and an 80% GT chromoly LSD. 3rd thru 5th gear are "secret" (LOL, I'll post when they are finalized). This box will hopefully be matched exactly to the SOW track with a smallish engine. It should also be great for any canyon carving or autox I may do. The gears are spaced so that the car will be in the meat of its (narrow) powerband from about 50-100mph and all 5 gears will be truly useful on the street or short road courses. Currently at SOW I never touch 5th and 3rd/4th are also too tall with the stock -4 box.

I will keep the stock -4 box around for now for the bigger tracks; later I'll probably have a big track box built too, with less agressive gear swaps but possibly some extra oiling and cooling mods.

Leaving on a trip early in the a.m. to hopefully make some coinage to pay for this. Damn sometimes I wish I could "just" be a coke addict or gambler or something...it might be chaper. rolleyes.gif
ChrisReale
Sounds cool Chris. I'd love to have a few gearboxes to swap around, but unfortunately, that will have to wait. I look forward to seeing the product when its done!
Brad Roberts
Ah man.. he sucked you into a billet intermediate plate. We still havent seen a reason to run these....

Nice job on the GA gear set.

You'll have 4500$ in this box (at least)

B
ChrisReale
QUOTE(Brad Roberts @ Aug 5 2003, 10:27 PM)
Ah man.. he sucked you into a billet intermediate plate. We still havent seen a reason to run these....

So thats why you were selling one a while back pretty cheep idea.gif
Brad Roberts
No.. we duped it on our CMM machine.. I can make them now. I just needed one to dupe.

I like them.. but they really dont update anything or strengthen anything.

I like busting the balls of John Williamson (Chris' wrench.. Otto)

B
campbellcj
QUOTE(Brad Roberts @ Aug 5 2003, 10:27 PM)

Nice job on the GA gear set.

You'll have 4500$ in this box (at least)

B

I already had it in my stash. But JW does seem to believe there is a value in running them.

Of course the engines in his two track cars put out WAY more power than my little hand-me-down 2.2, LOL.

I have to admit, I had intermediate plate bearing issues on my 911. One set of bearings was toast in < 5K miles of street driving. No idea what causes that. That trans was rebuilt by my former wrench, a well respected old-world German dude.
Brad Roberts
Your 911 had a 915 correct ?? I forget what year you had.

I'm just busting your balls also..

B
campbellcj
Nope; 901 5spd with the funky clutch (70). Friggen box went thru like 3 trans freshenings and 3 clutches in 12 years...ouch. Of course virtually all my driving was around-town 1st-3rd stuff, and canyon hammering.
Brad Roberts
Lucky you.

Sorry to hear about your bad luck..LOL

Hows the kid ?? He must be growing like a weed.

Show us some pics.

B
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.