Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: strut insert removal
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
echocanyons
I am swapping struts and I cant remove the cap, it looks like I need a special tool or something.

what do you think?
Part Pricer

You can use a pipe wrench to take them off. Putting them back on is another story. It is a little difficult to set the proper torque using a pipe wrench.
sj914
You can use a pipe wrench, but that would be a last resort. I seem to remember seeing a tool that has two small round prongs thats used for taking the strut nut off. The tool is similar to an angle grinder wrench...right now I can't seem to find the web site for it.

If you really want to get creative, you can fashion a tool that has a c shape head and put two bolts spaced the same as those holes on the nut.
Rough_Rider
From working in a bike shop we used to have pin spanners to remove suspension forks & shocks.

A quick search on craftsman.com showed up these Armstrong Face Spanner Wrench

Aaron Cox
ive never seen a nut like that.....

all of mine were smaller OD than that....

i slumped to a pipe wrench.....
echocanyons
They shocks were old koni's

My solution was to grind a notch, I then tapped it loose with a screw driver.

I had another retaining nut with the new struts so I didnt have to keep the old ones.
Spoke
I bought an over-sized channel lock for the strut on my '86 Audi some years ago. The Audi's gone but the channel lock worked wonders for the strut on the 914. For replacement, I used the "Spoke" torque setting; that is, I tightened the bastard down good and hard.

Spoke
tat2dphreak
pipe wrench or one of those fancy-schmancy craftsman jobbers... made to turn rounded pipes without scarring...
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.