Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: german car magazine compares Cayman S ...
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Gustl
just found at the homepage from the http://www.914-6-club.de/

Porsche 914-6 GT vs Porsche Cayman S
(just click "weiter" on the bottom for the next page)

text is just well known blah blah - no translation required
but there are a couple of nice pics

btw - it's a real GT (914.0.43.0032)
TROJANMAN
no redline on that tach. driving.gif
Part Pricer

I wish I could read German.

jd74914
QUOTE (TROJANMAN @ Sep 26 2005, 03:47 PM)
no redline on that tach. driving.gif

yeah there is. whatcha smoking buddy. biggrin.gif
Jeroen
I'll take that GT over the Cayman any day...
TROJANMAN
QUOTE (jd74914 @ Sep 26 2005, 01:06 PM)
QUOTE (TROJANMAN @ Sep 26 2005, 03:47 PM)
no redline on that tach.  :driving:

yeah there is. whatcha smoking buddy. biggrin.gif

i guess it was some good stuff............ drunk.gif

i see it now. that truly is a red line, and not a red zone.
TROJANMAN
QUOTE (Jeroen @ Sep 26 2005, 01:17 PM)

maybe, but i'd be more willing to drive tthe caymen than the GT. it's easier to crash a production car than a piece of history.
Quilmes
WOW thanks Wolfgang, that is really great. I love it when a 914 makes it onto a magazine.

You can tell that the 914 is much more fun because the driver of the other Porsche is not smiling.

I guess if you wait long enough you will see the 914 rise again, even thou I never thought that they really died.

Again Wolfgang thanks for that.

P.S. I wonder if I can get Udo to bring me a copy in October?

Same Red GT older tag

Quilmes
TROJANMAN
love the license plate

smg914
Yeah, the Switzerland GT. Love that car!
Anyone can have a Cayman but only a select few can have a real 914-6 GT.
Qarl
Hmmm... I am getting more and more interested in the Cayman S. Although I had a ton of problems with my 2001 Boxster, I might give them another shot.

I am thinking of one to replace the Bimmer when the lease ends (in about 16 months or so).

As far as the Cayman, pricing, with options, is now available on the Porsche USA site. Performance seems impressive... 0-60 in 5.1 for manual. Wife wants a triptronic... blink.gif
iamchappy
Ok Qarl, didn't you see that its a comparison between the 914 6 gt vs Cayman, Get your 914 6 gt monster engine beast together before you commit to the Cayman, The article probably says the 914 was way more fun. Porsches aren't meant to have names only numbers.
Has the Lotus already lost it's charm. biggrin.gif
Qarl
The Elise is not a daily driver here with all of the rain we have. Plus it just draws too much attention. And it has room for absolutely NOTHING in it. I live the Elise.

I dunno... the Cayman interests me, but I wanna see one in person.

I am also thinking about a '74 Chevrolet Vega. boldblue.gif
TravisNeff
QUOTE (Qarl @ Sep 26 2005, 07:14 PM)
I am also thinking about a '74 Chevrolet Vega. boldblue.gif

Be sure to get the wagon with the bubble window on the side. Pimpin'
Gustl
QUOTE (Quilmes @ Sep 26 2005, 11:55 PM)
P.S. I wonder if I can get Udo to bring me a copy in October?

I'm sure that's no problem - but you should tell him now, because now he can buy it everywhere cool.gif
in October it might be no longer available ... confused24.gif

wavey.gif Gustl
Jacco
Thanks for sharing Gustl,

great article, and very nice pics!

greets
Jacco
Pompano Beach 914V8
Hmmm... I am getting more and more interested in the Cayman S. Although I had a ton of problems with my 2001 Boxster, I might give them another shot.

What kind of problems? I have a 2000 Boxster S and I drive it every day...and drive it hard...never any problems. Probably the most trouble free car I've ever had. I love it, it's like my 914....all grown up.

I'm seriously thinking about getting a Cayman. I don't want to get rid of the 914 or the "S" so..... I'm trying to think how to convince my wife that we really NEED another sports car....not just "want" but "need".....this is not going to be easy.
olav
QUOTE (Jeroen @ Sep 26 2005, 01:17 PM)

agree.gif
Qarl
What kind of problems?

Let's see...

Litronic Headlights that burnt out after only two weeks

3 or 4 major oil leaks that required the engine to be removed (cam cover bolts several times, main seal went bad) and the suspension realigned

A/C died and they had to take the entire dash assembly off to get to the parts that were bad

Persistent vibration problem they could never fix (after 3 sets of tires and 2 sets of wheels)

I know I had a fifth issue, but it escapes me...

drunk.gif
horizontally-opposed
Just drove the Cayman S week before last. It is flat-out obscenely good to drive, and much better looking in person than in pictures (where have you heard that before). The New Beetle foglights don't even bug me no more.

Only bummer about the Cayman is that you WANT the PCCBs, Sport Chrono, Adaptive Sport seats, and PASM. You don't want the 19s (except for pose value, if that's your gig). The bummer part is that puts the price up to $75K-80K. I'm sure the base car with no options is grand, too, but the options above really DO do good things for a serious driver.

I'll give any mainstream mag props for getting a 914 on the pages (in a positive way, anyway), but they shoulda compared it to the 916, not the GT. I'd rather have either than a Cayman S, but then I'd rather have a Cayman S than any late-model 911 with the sole exception of the GT3.

I think a garage with one old Porsche and one new one is the ideal setup, but then that's just me... chowtime.gif chowtime.gif chowtime.gif

pete
Gustl
QUOTE (horizontally-opposed @ Sep 28 2005, 12:37 AM)
... , but they shoulda compared it to the 916, not the GT.

agree.gif

914-4 vs. Boxster
914-6 vs. Boxster S
916 vs. Cayman S
914-6 GT vs. Cayman CS*

* will come soon ...

that wold be better IMHO user posted image
carreraguy
I am dying to find out if Porsche will do a Cayman Club Sport! Anyone heard anything on this front? Likely way too soon since the marketeers want to see how the "S" and stock models do first.
horizontally-opposed
QUOTE (carreraguy @ Sep 28 2005, 05:28 PM)
I am dying to find out if Porsche will do a Cayman Club Sport! Anyone heard anything on this front?

The answer is no. At least not for now.

Talking with the head of the 987 program, there is clearly room for weight loss. Ditching the standard A/C (which can no longer be deleted for the time being) would drop 25 kg (55.115 pounds). The roof and hatch are steel, and the latter has a heavy glass window. The front lid is already aluminum, so CF would only save a little bit of weight. Adding GT2/3 buckets would delete about 44 pounds from the power seats in there now. Only issue with that is the new side airbags in the seats...wonder what this will mean for the 997 GT3?!?

PCCBs drop another 35-40 pounds and there is probably a little weight to be lost with a conventional clutch/flywheel (maybe 15-20 pounds, and rotational!) instead of the dual-mass flywheel. After that, the weight loss gets tougher...

But all of the above would add up to a Cayman CS weighing about 2,800 pounds despite all of its safety equipment and power bits. They might be able to get another 50-100 pounds with every trick in the book (like no radio and less sound deadening) but it would already be a monster at 2,800 pounds with 295 hp.

It's already great at 2950 pounds...after all.

pete
Dead Air
QUOTE (Travis Neff @ Sep 26 2005, 07:23 PM)
QUOTE (Qarl @ Sep 26 2005, 07:14 PM)
I am also thinking about a '74 Chevrolet Vega.   boldblue.gif

Be sure to get the wagon with the bubble window on the side. Pimpin'

[QUOTE]

I think you're thinkin' of the Ford Pinto...
Gustl
QUOTE (horizontally-opposed @ Sep 29 2005, 03:49 AM)
I am dying to find out if Porsche will do a Cayman Club Sport!  Anyone heard anything on this front?

within the last half year I've read it in various german car magazines that Porsche plans on it

I wonder about the background idea.gif

we' ll see ...
JmuRiz
QUOTE (Gustl @ Sep 28 2005, 08:41 PM)
QUOTE (horizontally-opposed @ Sep 29 2005, 03:49 AM)
I am dying to find out if Porsche will do a Cayman Club Sport!  Anyone heard anything on this front?

within the last half year I've read it in various german car magazines that Porsche plans on it

I wonder about the background idea.gif

we' ll see ...

Problem with a Cayman CS is that it'll probably be like the Carerra RS...not available in America sad.gif
Gustl
hijacked.gif woh, I hijacked my own thread blink.gif biggrin.gif laugh.gif

@ Nathan - I got in contact with a man who writes a book about all race cars in "Jagermeister" colours - AFAIR you're highly interested in all that Jagermeister race stuff?
I you want I could PM his mail address?
just let me know!

wavey.gif Gustl
JmuRiz
Sounds good, if I ever get any freetime I'll contact him.
BTW thanks again for all the help in getting me that Jager 1:43 scale model!!!
horizontally-opposed
QUOTE (JmuRiz @ Sep 29 2005, 05:57 AM)
Problem with a Cayman CS is that it'll probably be like the Carerra RS...not available in America sad.gif

Jim's probably right...

The other problem is the gulf between Cayman S and Carrera is VERY narrow, and the Porsche brass sees this. It thinks only 5 percent of potential 997 buyers will opt for a Cayman. When the 986 was introduced, Porsche kept a 95-hp gulf between it and the 996-based 911, worrying about sales cannibalization.

Obviously, that never happened and the Cayman S narrows the gap to just 30 hp -- with a superior chassis concept and less weight.

IF Porsche sees the Cayman developing into its own line and not affecting 911 sales or image, we MIGHT see an even faster Cayman. But I strongly doubt it for now.

The German magazines, BTW, are notorious for getting future Porsche stuff wrong or out of whack. But then so are the American magazines! wink.gif

pete
Gustl
QUOTE (JmuRiz @ Sep 29 2005, 05:13 PM)
Sounds good, if I ever get any freetime I'll contact him.
BTW thanks again for all the help in getting me that Jager 1:43 scale model!!!

you're welcome wavey.gif

don't get jealous, I've just won 2 nice eBay auctions wub.gif

1/43 Jägermeister Porsche 914/6 Trento Bondone 1972
1/43 Jägermeister Porsche 914/6 Avus 1974
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.