Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: aftermarket ac and headlights connected?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
shaggy
[FONT=Courier]so i have this 72 914 1.7
its very low horsepower so im trying to take weight off it to make it faster
on saturday i removed the aftermarket ac which hasnt been working sinde the car was purchased
i disconnected all of the plugs and everything, the compresser is still in the engine though
but not my headlights wont go up now
my running lights are working but my headlights wont turn up
if i crank 'em up by hand they work but they wont move up or down by the switch
does anyone have any idea what i did to make this happen and/or how i can fix this?
thanks
-Shaggy
SpecialK
Welcome to the club Shaggy! beer.gif

This is a icon_bump.gif to the morning people that have a schematic handy.
shaggy
does anyone have any idea what i did? because they still aint goin up and thats making driving at night rather difficult... sad.gif sad.gif
914GT
You'll need to trace out the wiring to find the problem. I have some labeled schematics here that may help you out.
74A pg1
74A pg2
74A pg3

It's possible a previous owner or installer improperly tied the A/C into the headlight circuit. Or, knowing how these cars can be it could be a coincidence and your headlight problems are unrelated to the removal of the A/C. But unless you can find someone locally that knows how to work on these cars, you'll have to learn how to debug the electrical problems using the diagram. Good luck.

By the way - make sure fuse #12 is good and 12V is getting to the relays.
SGB
If the switch is pulled out (HL on position) anjd you manually raise the light, is the bulb on? It should not be if power isn't going to the HL motors. Is there any response from the high beam switch? Check fuses 1 & 2 (L/R low beams) and 3 & 4 (L/R high beams), IIRC. These are the first four fuses from the left
bondo
The headlight motor relays are on the sides of the inside of the front trunk.. perhaps they both got screwed up when you were pulling AC stuff?
shaggy
QUOTE (SGB @ Sep 30 2005, 01:19 PM)
If the switch is pulled out (HL on position) anjd you manually raise the light, is the bulb on?  It should not be if power isn't going to the HL motors.  Is there any response from the high beam switch?  Check fuses 1 & 2 (L/R low beams) and 3 & 4 (L/R high beams), IIRC.  These are the first four fuses from the left

when i turn my lights on and i crank up the motors by hand they are on. there is response form the high/low beam switch, only the driver high beam works im sure its not the bulbs just replaced em/ halogen stars but thats a problem for another post. i havnt checked the fuses yet i kinda dont know what to look for. i mean i can see em and i can tell if they are burnt but i dont have the damn cover so i have no idea whats what. i looked at a junk yard today (20th street auto parts 20th st and jefferson for those of you in az) and found not a single fuse cover in 12 914s. so where are fuses 1 to 4?
914GT
Fuses start on the left at #1. First four are the headlamps and are 8A. #12 on the far right (16A) goes to the headlight motor relays.
shaggy
what colors should the fuses be?

where should i go about getting more fuses?
online?
bap?
junkyard?

thanks for all of the help so far smile.gif

also my passenger highbeam wont light
the low if working but the high is dead, but the driver is working

does that sound like a fuse thing?
McMark
Your non working high beam sounds like a fuse. Should be the second one from the left I believe. Search and you will find a guide as to what amp fuses go where. They are available from your FLAPS (favorite local auto parts store).
shaggy
ok
ill pick some of those up
thanks
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.