Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Arizona PCA Autocross
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
gregrobbins
At 53, I finally got a chance to do my first Autocross. Saturday was Autocross School, and Sunday was the first Autocross of the season. Too hot in Phoenix to race in the summer, so the autocross season is September through May. Lots of interesting Porsches including a twin turbo, and a few 914s. Since this was my first PCA autocross, I was surprised how few 914s showed up.

How did I do? I had a blast! I didn't knock over any cones or completely spin out. I was only 6.5 seconds off the top time of the day. Ha Ha. By the way, the top time was set by a mid-engined porsche: a Boxster. That guy could drive. I think Andy in Wild6 could have beat him if he had a second run, but new transmission mounts decided to crap out on him.

Here is my new car. 1974 eurospec 2.0L with enough suspension upgrades to bump me into CP, like I need that to get started.
gregrobbins
Here is Andy's Wild6 3.6L of fury
gregrobbins
Here is Tim Hannum's damn fast 2.0L four. This guy can drive and this car rocks!
gregrobbins
This is "Kurmut" owned/driven by Jack and Loretta Aman. Super beautiful and fast with its 2.7L six. Lorette beat me by two seconds and Jack is even faster.
TravisNeff
Looks like fun! Wish I could have been there.
gregrobbins
Here is Bryan Clingman's '75 2.0L. Brian is a good driver and makes this baby move. Plug for Bryan, he is looking to buy a 914 race car if anyone has one to sell.
gregrobbins
Here is Paul Graves' 2.0L. Very nice car well prepared and Paul is an excellent driver. He was nice enough to walk the course with me and share tips.
gregrobbins
Here I am at speed: going so fast I was just a blur to the camera. No wait, Bryan just moved the camera.
gregrobbins
Here is the twin turbo. Beautiful, but long and heavy, over 3200 pounds. On the one stright the turbos would just start to kick in and he would have to jump all over the brakes. Sweet sounding motor when it winds out.
snflupigus
zois is still selling his 914 race car i think....

wish i would have known about it, i would have come but not raced. damn.

was the blue car from platteau motorsports?

MoveQik
QUOTE (snflupigus @ Sep 27 2005, 10:05 AM)

Greg,

Looks like a great time. I couldn't make it since I was at RRC. Did Tim Hannum get a new car? Last I knew he had a red 75. Or did he just re-do his?

Several years ago ago I went to an AX and Jack took me for a run in Kermit. That thing IS fast and he is a great driver. Very cool that an older couple both still run full speed ahead in these events.

Snuff....you gotta read the posts more often! Every event that happens locally you read about AFTER it happens. Keep trying, maybe we'll even get to meet you some day! beerchug.gif
bryanc
QUOTE (MW 914 @ Sep 27 2005, 12:15 PM)
QUOTE (snflupigus @ Sep 27 2005, 10:05 AM)

Greg,

Looks like a great time. I couldn't make it since I was at RRC. Did Tim Hannum get a new car? Last I knew he had a red 75. Or did he just re-do his?

Several years ago ago I went to an AX and Jack took me for a run in Kermit. That thing IS fast and he is a great driver. Very cool that an older couple both still run full speed ahead in these events.

Snuff....you gotta read the posts more often! Every event that happens locally you read about AFTER it happens. Keep trying, maybe we'll even get to meet you some day! beerchug.gif

Tim repainted his car last year. It used to be maroon. It's down to around 1800 pounds with no fiberglass yet. My car (the dark blue '75) is 2300 pounds and I think I weigh about 80 pounds more than Tim!!!! That comes out to be about 530 pounds difference between the cars with drivers. headbang.gif

Jack and Loretta were both very competitive (see results at http://az.pca.org). IIRC, the've been at every AX I've been to in the last 4 years.
bryanc
QUOTE (gregrobbins @ Sep 26 2005, 09:15 PM)
Here I am at speed: going so fast I was just a blur to the camera. No wait, Bryan just moved the camera.

I told you I was a bad photographer. Of course that was after I took the pictures happy11.gif
snflupigus
hehe.... someday.. I thought thats what the email list was for! smile.gif

add me to your lists if you will. snflupigus@hotmail.com

btw, has anybody ever worked with platteau motorsports at scottsdale air park? I went there and they had a ferrari, old ac cobra, vintage masarati and some othe amazing cars in the show room then the back shop area you could EAT off the floor. seriously. The receptionist (family member/owner) has a NICE 914-6 that i was told would eat most for breakfast.

anyway... i will meet some of you someday... someday.

pavillions car show next sat?
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.