Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 2 Liter Fuchs
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
STL914
I know this has been discussed before, but after several failed attempts searching for this topic, I need to ask.

What is the best way to remove the center caps from
2 liter Fuchs without damaging the caps?
bmcwilli
Get a piece of wood that will fit INSIDE the center cap.

Ideally, you want a pice that is round,, and fits the bottom (as you're looking from the back side of the whell/centercap) of the cap.

Take a mallet and GENTLY tap the piece of wood to remove the cap.

Works for me.
GaroldShaffer
I had some PVC that just fit and rested on the lip edge of the cap. Used a mallet to gently tap the cap out. Since then I fellow club member made me a small tool that fits just like the PVC did with a welded nut on it and I just use a socket extension and hammer and tap tap tap away smash.gif
Engman
Yep made these last year -

redshift
I just grab them with channel locks, and turn clockwise... I think they are reverse threaded?

laugh.gif

M
STL914
QUOTE (bmcwilli @ Sep 27 2005, 09:41 AM)
Get a piece of wood that will fit INSIDE the center cap.

Ideally, you want a pice that is round,, and fits the bottom (as you're looking from the back side of the whell/centercap) of the cap.

Take a mallet and GENTLY tap the piece of wood to remove the cap.

Works for me.

I tried Todd's method and it worked great for two of the four.

One cap actually seperated from the sleeve that seats in the wheel opening. The sleeve is still in the wheel, seems to be glued in. It looks like the PO glued the cap pieces together and then into the wheel.

The fourth cap also appears to be glued in and did not budge when I tried to tap it out. Has anyone ever heard of the caps being glued into the wheels? Any suggestions as to how to remove it other than heat?
Qarl
I had found an old aersol can that was the right size and used that (after it was empty).
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.