Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: OT: How to adjust 901 shims
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
olav

Was wondering how the factory figured out how many shims to put in the case side intermediate plate in the first place?

And what are they shiming anyway? Does it make that much of a difference?

Just curious?
Cap'n Krusty
They use a fixture that goes in in place of the diff and holds a dial indicator set with yet another fixture. The pinion depth is measured, and compared to the depth determined during manufacture to be the quietest running, longest wearing, and most appropriate. It's marked on the pinion and/or the ring gear. The pinion head shims do most of the adjustment, and the paper shims fine tune it. Once it's properly set, the ring gear preload and backlash are set. Carefully and accurately measuring the old paper shims should get you into safe territory. The Cap'n
Joe Ricard
Yea it is getting to be that way. anything 914 related is the minority here.

Anyway, You are determining the depth of the pinion gear as is relates to the ring gear.

Measured with some snazzy tools that are shown in the FACTORY MANUALS. of all places they even sort of explain it.
olav

So, if you don't have the fixtures then you really need those shims then.

Ok, cool.

Thanks for the explaination much appreciated.
ClayPerrine
Olav,
I was able to retain the proper number and location of the shims in my transmission so that it runs fine without any gear whine. If you do want to change something, make sure that you follow the procedure in the factory manual, and double check your math multiple times.

Question.. Why is this thread OT? It is certainly on topic.

olav
QUOTE (ClayPerrine @ Sep 27 2005, 12:29 PM)
Olav,
I was able to retain the proper number and location of the shims in my transmission so that it runs fine without any gear whine. If you do want to change something, make sure that you follow the procedure in the factory manual, and double check your math multiple times.

Question.. Why is this thread OT? It is certainly on topic.

I'll preserve the current shim thickness. I was just wondering what it was for and how important it is. They just seem so thin that it didn't matter... but I know better now.

Thanks!

I marked it as OT as a funny biggrin.gif . With all the OT stuff going on it seem that 914 subjects are OT!

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.