Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: EGR system removal?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
snflupigus
Last time i went through emissions testing here in AZ they didnt even open the engine bay lid... i drove up, tested, the opened the front trunk and checked my gas cap i guess and sent me on my way as i passed with flying colors.

If I remove the charcol cannister and the othe egr valve cover venting stuff will i notice bad things?
ArtechnikA
no EGR in 914.
no EGR in '73.

the evap stuff costs nothing (performance) and there's no reason not to keep it unless parts are falling off the car. you need the breathers.
snflupigus
I just assumed that all the hoses going back into the intake were trying to reburn gasses in the engine. isnt that what egr does?

I just want to clean up the look of the engine bay vs having all those hoses etc there. I'd like to strip the car down a bit to simplify it. Remove un needed things (like the rain tray... ) Not costing power but makes it easier to work on and I wont be driving it in the rain ever.
lapuwali
No. EGR is Exhaust Gas Recirculation. This vents exhaust from the manifold into the intake manifold to dilute the incoming mixture, based on a vacuum-operated valve. It was never used on the 914, and hasn't been used on any new car in awhile. It was pretty much always a bad idea.

The vent hoses from the tank, through the canister, to the engine, are there to burn off fuel vapors from the gas tank. This prevents simply venting the tank to the atmosphere, which was commonly done until 1968, when the EPA put a stop to the practice in the US.
ArtechnikA
the recirculation system burns gasoline that would otherwise evaporate into the air.

Exhaust Gas Recirculation is a fairly comples mechanism of injecting oxygen-depleted (and therefore largely inert) exhaust gas into the intake stream to reduce NOx. it is not the same as the air injection system - which no '73 had either...

go ahead and pull the rain tray - if you have an Optima.

you still need the head breathers if you have them.
ArtechnikA
QUOTE (lapuwali @ Sep 27 2005, 07:42 PM)
{EGR} ... was never used on the 914, and hasn't been used on any new car in awhile....

au contraire.

i'm having an EGR issue on my '97 Subie right now, and TDI's use prodigeous amounts of EGR to keep NOx under control.
Mueller
EGR valves came on the '75/'76 CA (and possibly other states) 914's with 2.0 for sure....I "think" my '75 1.8 had one as well
lapuwali
QUOTE (ArtechnikA @ Sep 27 2005, 03:47 PM)
{EGR} ... was never used on the 914, and hasn't been used on any new car in awhile....

au contraire.

i'm having an EGR issue on my '97 Subie right now, and TDI's use prodigeous amounts of EGR to keep NOx under control.

I don't know nuthin' about diesels...

NOx is handled pretty well by modern three-way catalysts, which have been used for quite some time now (at least 1990). I'm surprised any spark-ignition engine used it recently. I wonder if current Soob engines have EGR valves...

lapuwali
QUOTE (Mueller @ Sep 27 2005, 03:51 PM)
EGR valves came on the '75/'76 CA (and possibly other states) 914's with 2.0 for sure....I "think" my '75 1.8 had one as well

Air injection they had, but EGR, too? I don't have any manuals nearby, but I'd be surprised if they had both.
Mueller
QUOTE (lapuwali @ Sep 27 2005, 04:55 PM)
QUOTE (Mueller @ Sep 27 2005, 03:51 PM)

Air injection they had, but EGR, too? I don't have any manuals nearby, but I'd be surprised if they had both.

'75 1.8, no air injection, EGR now that I think of it w/cat

'75/76 2.0, yes on the air injection, w/cat, fuzzy on the EGR but pretty sure

messix
egr helps with running very lean idle and part thottle mixtures on late models. it lowers the combustion temps and as a result keep NOx levels in check.
this has allowed higher compression levels to run on pump gas. factory 500hp and meets emissions? thats how they do it.
Dave_Darling
QUOTE (snflupigus @ Sep 27 2005, 03:16 PM)
If I remove the charcol cannister and the othe egr valve cover venting stuff will i notice bad things?

If they checked your gas cap, there's a decent chance they will at least look to see if there's a charcoal cannister or not. The potential negative effect == failing smog.

Some people have noticed fuel smells in the cabin when they have disconnected the charcoal cannister system.

The system harms nothing on the car, and helps keep gasoline vapor out of the air we breathe. Seems like a real "win-win" situation to keep it on there...

--DD
ArtechnikA
QUOTE (lapuwali @ Sep 27 2005, 07:54 PM)
I wonder if current Soob engines have EGR valves...

when i get a chance, i'll go try to peek under the acre of plastic covering the engine of the '04 3,0 six and let you know.
Cap'n Krusty
QUOTE (lapuwali @ Sep 27 2005, 03:54 PM)
QUOTE (ArtechnikA @ Sep 27 2005, 03:47 PM)

au contraire.

I don't know nuthin' about diesels...

NOx is handled pretty well by modern three-way catalysts, which have been used for quite some time now (at least 1990). I'm surprised any spark-ignition engine used it recently. I wonder if current Soob engines have EGR valves...

Don't kid yourself. Lotsa "modern" gasoline powered cars use EGR, as well as air injection. Just part of the overall emissions package. The Cap'n
snflupigus
what about the little extra air bubble thing around the gas cap deal... took that off tonight, all it had going in was a venting vaccum line to it and from it to the charcoal cannister. I took both off tonight. Guess i can plug the hole in the fan shroud now. And the one on the air box.

as for the breathers, I think i have them connected to that valve then they go into the air box. guess i can leave those there, or just plumb them to a breather box i have and mount it to the firewall.

again, just trying to clean things up. If i fail the 10 dollar emissions check, i'll throw it back on and test again but i dont think i'll have to do that for a while.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.