Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: CV Joint alternative
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Red-Beard
There is a local shop on my monday night route which remans CV joints. The machine the joints and install oversize balls. The 914/6 friggen joint is unique. At least 1 of mine has gone bad.

Has anyone tried this?
Gint
Nope. Lemme know how it works out?
mikey
My -6 CV joints were buggered too. I just replaced them with -4s at the recommendation of Brad and Rich Bontempi at HPH. They said the only difference between a -6 and -4 CV is that the -6 internally has one more spline. The dimensions, strength, outside appearance, etc of the -4 CV are the same as the -6.

Changing ball size sounds like a lot of trouble and expense. If you go that route let us know how much it cost and what the result was. (I still have my worn out -6 CVs that could be redone).
mightyohm
mikey - where did you get your -4 joints?

I would like to know the costs of rebuilding also.

Someone should go into business adapting VW CV's for 914's. All it would require is a lathe...
Aaron Cox
QUOTE (jkeyzer @ Sep 27 2005, 10:18 PM)

I would like to know the costs of rebuilding also.

Someone should go into business adapting VW CV's for 914's. All it would require is a lathe...

Jeff-

which vw Cv's? and what is turned on the lathe?
Engman
Yep - got both seats redone locally for $100 - this was 5 years ago - 12000 miles and they are fine...

M
mikey

I got mine at HPH in Redwood City. Rich Bontempi had just got a bunch of them.

lapuwali
Hm. Perhaps buy a set to put on the shelf would be prudent. Did Rich indicate he had a steady supply, or did he just raid some secret NOS stash?
mightyohm
QUOTE (mikey @ Sep 27 2005, 09:52 PM)

I got mine at HPH in Redwood City. Rich Bontempi had just got a bunch of them.

New or used?
mightyohm
Oh and Aaron. I think they are just VW bug CV's.

Two holes need to be opened up to fit the dowel pins (and have a seat about 1/2" down to keep the dowels from going too far).

The outside edge needs to be turned down a couple mm to fit the gasket.

That is if we are going for a perfect replacement, you can "make things work" with no mods at all. But you know how much we like things to be original!
mikey
New or used?

New.

Don't remember what the cost was. I've heard that they periodically are hard to come by so I grabbed them as soon as they were available.
SLITS
The reman people use a dedicated machine to hog out the recesses (built specifically for that purpose) and that is why they use an over size ball. Common practice.............
Red-Beard
QUOTE (mikey @ Sep 27 2005, 09:06 PM)
My -6 CV joints were buggered too. I just replaced them with -4s at the recommendation of Brad and Rich Bontempi at HPH. They said the only difference between a -6 and -4 CV is that the -6 internally has one more spline. The dimensions, strength, outside appearance, etc of the -4 CV are the same as the -6.

Changing ball size sounds like a lot of trouble and expense. If you go that route let us know how much it cost and what the result was. (I still have my worn out -6 CVs that could be redone).

So, are you saying a 4 axel will replace a 6 axel?
mikey
Exactly - a -4 axle with -4 CV joints on it will replace a -6 axle with -6 CV joints on it.

However, you can't mix and match axles and CV joints, due to the fact that the -6 CV joint and axle have one more spline than the -4 CV joint and axle

In all other respects (dimensionally) they are the same.
Aaron Cox
why didnt porsche have ONE cv for all early 911's and 914's?

one spline difference..... screwy.gif
Cap'n Krusty
QUOTE (Aaron Cox @ Sep 28 2005, 05:25 PM)
why didnt porsche have ONE cv for all early 911's and 914's?

one spline difference..... screwy.gif

Because the axles, like the bodies, the engines, the trannies, and a lot more, were sourced from VW. VW used their CVs, modified, and Porsche used theirs. 911 CVs didn't come from any VW product or project. The Cap'n
kart54

Performance Products in the San Fernando Valley sells the complete axle for the 914-4 for $361.95 and the CV joint for $110.95 each. Just looked in my catalogue before writing this. Available now and have been for some time as far as I know. I bought a new pair of complete axles when I bought my car in February of this year.
You can find them at www.automotion.com or call 1 800 423-3173.
I have no affiliation with them, just a satisfied customer.
Randy
mikey
Performance Products in the San Fernando Valley sells the complete axle for the 914-4 for $361.95 and the CV joint for $110.95 each.
ohmy.gif ohmy.gif ohmy.gif

Yipes! That sounds steep! I don't remember exactly how much I paid HPH, but I'm sure it was under $200 for each axle/CV joint unit.

Jeesh, maybe they have gone up that much in the last year due to availability (or lack thereof)

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.