Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Lug Nuts, Part deux
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
SGB
Yo and other appropriate coloquial expressions Dudes et Dudets...
I have searched up the past lug nut threads and found suppliers for the 21mm (i think that was it..) lug nut with rounded shoulder correct for Fuchs wheels. But the ones i've found have all been regular steel finish. I really would like chrome ones. Isit OK to just take mine to a plater (if I can find one), or will the threads be restricted by the thickness of the plating? Anybody know a source for such things already plated?
merci mon amis. ohmy.gif
goose2
I think you can get alloy ones from the usual suspects and polish them....but alloy or chrome may not be legal on the track. If you want plated ones, ask a plater about masking the threaded part somehow so it doesn't get plated...the threads will get too tight. Also ask the plater about hydrogen embrittlement...possible safety issue. You can also get some little plastic chromed "caps" that cover your nuts (that's asking for rude comments, isn't it). These guys have a lot of wheel hardware: Wheel Stuff
johnmhudson111
Are you looking for these? I got them off my 914 that had Fuchs.
TROJANMAN
what size head are those? 17mm or 19 mm?
jniemeier
I bought a set off ebay that look exactly like your picture. 17mm heads, and a spherical curve under the head that definately does not match the curve in my Fuchs. They only contacted down at the bottom of the curve. The way mine fit was no way acceptable, and the bolts got sent back. Not safe. They must fit that curve completely.
Jim N.
'73 2.0
johnmhudson111
QUOTE (TROJANMAN @ Sep 28 2005, 10:29 PM)
what size head are those? 17mm or 19 mm?

I think they are 17 but I will have to check for sure.
TROJANMAN
QUOTE (jniemeier @ Sep 28 2005, 07:35 PM)
I bought a set off ebay that look exactly like your picture. 17mm heads, and a spherical curve under the head that definately does not match the curve in my Fuchs. They only contacted down at the bottom of the curve. The way mine fit was no way acceptable, and the bolts got sent back. Not safe. They must fit that curve completely.
Jim N.
'73 2.0

that's why i was asking. have a set of the ebay specials as well, and they SUCK. not only is there a problem with the seat, but the thread pitch is off as well. i paid $65 bucks for them, and then i tossed them in the trash. i am not going to let someone else strip out their rotors. mad.gif
SGB
Thats close at least, but I think the radius on the shoulder of those is too high or something. I know mine aren't flat shouldered, but not THAT rounded either.
smilie_pokal.gif thanks for the WARNING....
johnmhudson111
Here is a picture of the lugs in the wheels on my 914
tat2dphreak
prestigewheel.com
or wheelcomponents.com

both have the right size, and chrome...

I got mine from prestige, since they had longer ones... but I didn't spring for chrome...
Allan
Chrome Lug Bolts
SGB
Thanx, fellers!
cool.gif
jniemeier
John Hudson,
Your pic is a bit too far away to tell if the dark sliver is just a shadow or a gap. Any gap between the shoulder of the bolt and the surface of the wheel is a no-go. If there's a gap, then further down in where it IS in contact the wheel will be overstressed and will eventually fatigue, bolts will loosen, fatigue will get worse, etc. Actually there can't be a gap at the top or down at the root. The clamp load has to go into the wheel in the right direction. The forces don't go straight down in this type of joint. They angle outwards, and so if the fit is wrong, the angle is wrong, and the stress will definately be too high. Remember, it's the clamping that holds joints together, not the fit of the bolt shank. Think of the cost of some Fuchs and hubs vs the bolts...
Thanks for the two sites. Are the Prestige bolts an exact fit? i.e., stick it in the wheel off the car and you can't wiggle it at all?
Jim N.
'73 2.0 w/ skanky looking but original bolts.
Mueller
I'd be willing to bet that the "eBay" incorrect bolts are originally bought from Prestige (huge discount for dealers/resellers) since they are listed as Mercedes replacement
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.