Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Cost of MSD ignition??
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Bob Wolcott
What is the ball park cost of the MSD ignition systems that allow one to program the timing curve? Could one of these units be made to work with a twin plug distributor in place of the advance mechanism?

Thanks,
Bob
McMark
Just to be clear. We're talking six cylinders, right?
Bob Wolcott
Yes, 2.7RS engine that I am converting to twin plug ignition. I know that some of the MSD ignitions have a programable timing curve but I don't know the details. Any idea what one might cost?

Bob
Mueller
QUOTE (Bob Wolcott @ Sep 28 2005, 08:53 PM)
Yes, 2.7RS engine that I am converting to twin plug ignition. I know that some of the MSD ignitions have a programable timing curve but I don't know the details. Any idea what one might cost?

Bob

Try Summit Racing or Jeg's (should be able to google it for online address)

I don't MSD makes what you are looking for......

If you want to keep the dizzy, I'd go withMegaspark, it can be put together for less than $200 i think........

it is spark only...then the price goes up hundreds of dollars for anything remotely close to it....
sixnotfour
Try Summit Racing or Jeg's (should be able to google it for online address)

even MSD online

The more extras you add, might as well just go crankfire,
More cost effective
MSD you can use a retard box , race easier starting, or they make a programmeable advance box.
new boxes have adjustable pots ,old ones used the pills. Generic application.200-500
Bob Wolcott
I looked into an Electromotive crankfire system but everyone I spoke to about it said it was underpowered and plug fouling would be an issue. Does MSD have an equivalent system with more juice?

I figure it will be easy to modify my current distributor (Bosch 007) to accept a Jaguar 12 cylinder and modified rotor, but I am looking into the best method to modify the advance. I could modify the current mechanism but it would be so much nicer to use something with more precise control. My original system was the Bosch dizzy, Pertronix points, and MSD-6AL idnition box.

This car will be used primarily on the street but I want it to go like hell biggrin.gif Will the MegaSpark give me what I am looking for?

Bob
sixnotfour
Give these guys a call they are local to you.
http://www.rennsportsystems.com/
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.