Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: so i'm emptying the gas tank
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
bd1308
and i notice that while its *BARELY TRICKLING* into my 4 2 gallon gas cans, that there were small bubbles flowing through the line......

now i am almost 100% sure that either there is a kink int he fuel hose near the base of the gas tank, or way more likely that the sock filter in the gas tank is gunked up or covered with rust....

so is it possible that the facet pump would draw a vaccuum so great that it could also draw air in through a minute crack in the "new" fuel hose? Or do i need to replace my plastic hose?

I don't smell fuel anywhere in the car or the front trunk, NOR do i see any fuel on the bottom of the car.....

Fuel pump is up front....

b
bd1308
oh and once its to R, i have 2.5 gallons left, right....?
SirAndy
QUOTE (bd1308 @ Sep 28 2005, 08:51 PM)
Fuel pump is up front....

you can blow out the plastic lines and make sure they're not plugged up.
if the ends are not brittle, i wouldn't touch the plastic lines.

kinked hose is likely, gunked up tank bottom as well.

what year is your car? was the FP relocated to the front?
cool.gif Andy
rpmmaxxed
is that true about the R?

if R is indicated, 2.5 gallons remains? Paranoia may have been in vain I guess...
Mueller
got a flashlight? pretty easy to inspect the tank (above and below it, a small inspection mirror helps)
bd1308
well the fuel pump (honda carb model) was placed into the front after my car was converted to carbs......

um...it's a 74.....

the facet pump was sturuggling for dear life to pump fuel.....

OH hey...i'll haveta see if it's still connected, but is it possible to use the "return" line as the feed for the carbs? Or is the return line lead to the top of the tank, while the feed is at the bottom?

b

PS=yes i read somewhere that the light coming on meant that there was 2.5 gallons left in the tank, but I don't know for sure......
redshift
Brando
If you run a fancy fuel pressure regulator, you can actually use that return line to bleed off excess pressure and send excess fuel back to the tank
SirAndy
QUOTE (rpmmaxxed @ Sep 28 2005, 09:35 PM)
is that true about the R?
if R is indicated, 2.5 gallons remains? Paranoia may have been in vain I guess...

5 Liter ...

you do the math!
biggrin.gif Andy
bd1308
so in other words, if i put a pump on the return line i won't get any fuel?

reason i was asking was to simply drain my fuel faster......

b
Mueller
QUOTE (bd1308 @ Sep 28 2005, 09:38 PM)
well the fuel pump (honda carb model) was placed into the front after my car was converted to carbs......

um...it's a 74.....

the facet pump was sturuggling for dear life to pump fuel.....

OH hey...i'll haveta see if it's still connected, but is it possible to use the "return" line as the feed for the carbs? Or is the return line lead to the top of the tank, while the feed is at the bottom?

b

PS=yes i read somewhere that the light coming on meant that there was 2.5 gallons left in the tank, but I don't know for sure......

it's possible to switch them..however it would be plain stupid to do so

no pre-filter (no sock)

line is smaller (no big deal until you start making 400+ horsepower or so)

and you will not have a "reserve"

SirAndy
QUOTE (Brando @ Sep 28 2005, 09:41 PM)
If you run a fancy fuel pressure regulator, you can actually use that return line to bleed off excess pressure and send excess fuel back to the tank

and keep the fuel (and carbs) cool ...

i dunno, i run my rotary pump in the stock location, just replaced the FI pump with the new one.

why would one move the pump to the front anyways? i've never seen vapor lock on my car ...

maybe i'm not driving it hard enough?
idea.gif Andy
bd1308
well i'll most likely just drain the tank the current way anyhow.....

for a second i thought i had an extra facet pump, but i didn't pull it off of the other car....

b
bd1308
QUOTE (SirAndy @ Sep 28 2005, 10:45 PM)
QUOTE (Brando @ Sep 28 2005, 09:41 PM)

and keep the fuel (and carbs) cool ...

i dunno, i run my rotary pump in the stock location, just replaced the FI pump with the new one.

why would one move the pump to the front anyways? i've never seen vapor lock on my car ...

maybe i'm not driving it hard enough?
idea.gif Andy

it was easier to get +12 from the fuse panel than it was to run a wire from the battery cable to the front trunk for my amp.....

Mueller
QUOTE (bd1308 @ Sep 28 2005, 09:47 PM)
well i'll most likely just drain the tank the current way anyhow.....

for a second i thought i had an extra facet pump, but i didn't pull it off of the other car....

b

you do know there is a 4" hole under the tank that you can access the lines to drain it ???

go directly to the source to get the fuel out....you are going to fry your pump if it's working too hard or contaminated
bd1308
gut feeling is that I should replace it anyway.....

probably used crap anyway just laying around the dude's shop.....

b
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.