Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: James Dean/ Competition Motors Hollywood
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
O.G.914-6
Hey all , it's Maltese Falcon- just using OG's Mac (down the street cause my SBC is NFG)... Friday the 30th of Sept. is the 50th anniversary of the James Dean crash. He left L.A. from 1219 N. Vine St. Hollywood that morning . That was the former site of Competition Motors (John von Neumann) which is now a construction project. I've set up that morning with the construction supervisor (Jan) to give us a 15 minute "Drive up and photo-op ", so anyone in the area in a Porsche should get down there. Bring a camera ! You want to enter LaMirada St. properly (from Cahuenga Bl.) at 8:15 am- facing east. Cahuenga is one block west of Vine St. DO not enter LaMirada St. from Vine St. it is too narrow ! We will then take some photos ( a 50th only happens once), and depart at 8:30 am. This is next to a construction site, so please respect the contractor, the parking on LaMirada is also "No parking anytime", I think 15 minutes should be OK. After 8:30 the big trucks roll back in, and we must be gone !
LaMirada St. is one block south of Fountain Ave. and one block north of Lexington ( 2 blocks north of Santa Monica Bl.)
Aaron...can you post this on the Bird Board for the rear engine crowd wink.gif
Marty
seanery
I did a gig at the Indiana State Museum tonite in Indy. There is a fantastic display of photos of JD up right now! If you're a fan and in the area, I recomend you check it out! Dude was the definition of COOL! smoke.gif
IronHillRestorations
I just watched a Speedvision show called "Behind the headlights", which was about James Dean and his love of Porsches, particularly the 550. Very interesting!

Wish I could be there.
morph
wish i could go,9/30/67 is my birthday,i have read alot about the 550,and james dean.
james
dinomium
I got married on 9/30/2000... She doesn't mind the 914 car farm in the back yard! I am a lucky man!
TRE Cup
I'll be there with either a client's 550 replica or my 914/6
c you there!
Maltese Falcon
Well my SBC DSL went back up this morning...it was a broken service line a block away and took away my server since last Tues. mad.gif Thx. to 9146-O.G. for use of the 'puter !
Here are some pics of the 50TH year anniversary from where James took his 550 Spyder (chassis #55) out for a ride into the history books. This is 1219 N. Vine St. today, former Competition Motors . When the construction is done , it will be an addition to an adjacent Church, a place of solitude and a nice token to Dean's memory.
The turnout was small, but we did manage the photo-op thanks to the construction supervisor Beritt--who kept the earth hauling 18 wheelers at bay for 15 minutes smile.gif
Thx to Chucks6 , TRE Cup, Chuck (porscheone) and his brother Henry, and Karl K., all for this small but memorable event. We also held a short memorial prayer right there on LaMirada and Vine St. for James.
If you are familiar with the "Champion Spark Plug James Dean " poster, it was done right here at Competition Motors back in the day.
The black 550 (Beck ?) TRE Cup -Thx. Dave that was awesome- and you stopped some traffic with that car smile.gif . My tail dragger 930- after all it was 9-30 and a good day to drive it.
Marty
Maltese Falcon
...'nuther with drivers TRE Cup ( Dave) and Maltese Falcon (Marty)...
Maltese Falcon
...Hey wait a minute, Chucks6 showed up - he actually shot by the add'y at GREAT velocity and we reeled him in on the 'celly ! Chuck will chime in here with some REAL good pix later in the week--he's on some R & R right now biggrin.gif
This six was formerly Fred's if you saw it at G-A-F in Ventura...rolling art !
Marty
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.