Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: OT: Los Angeles Fire
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Rusty
I hope that all our members are safe and sound. sad.gif
drew365
My old house is right at the edge of the mandatory evacuation zone. I can't get a hold of my good friend that lives just down the hill. This is bohemian country, he doesn't have a cell phone or computer. I hope he's okay. He's a pack rat, if flames get anywhere near his place it'll go up like a box of matches. Lots of old cars all over his property and buried in the garage under piles of Americana.
tat2dphreak

I hope everyone is Safe!! ohmy.gif
Carlitos Way
Things looked kinda hairy over here in Simi Valley yesterday and last night. Makes for some beautiful views at night... but not so beautiful in the AM.

We should probably hold our breaths for Howard... the fire is headed in his direction. Not sure if he is being evacuated yet.

C.
campbellcj
I believe Howard is in the mandatory evac zone. It is getting kinda too close for comfort for me as well. I am not super worried as it would have to jump 8-10 lanes of freeway to get here, but it is a big effin fire.

This is from my driveway a few minutes ago.

campbellcj
This is why we are worried...but also why we choose to live here. Approx 1.5 miles of open space to the west, and 8 miles to the south.

That sky was blue earlier this morning.
campbellcj
My understanding is the fire covers just about the entire center area of this satellite image...miracle that it has only taken 1 home so far, last I heard. The firefighters are awesome. There are something like 1,700 of them working this.
campbellcj
Lost the pic
tdgray
OH ohmy.gif

On second thought I think I can live with a little snow here in Ohio. smile.gif
Elliot_Cannon
I flew a trip this morning from Ontario Ca. to Anchorage and our track took us just to the left of the fire area. The crew I was with had never seen a brush fire before and were amazed. I've flown over many brush fires over the years and this one is just a scary as any I have seen. Good luck to Howard and others that live close by. I think the Santa Ana winds will be dying down and that will be a big help.
Cheers, Elliot
SLITS
Elliot....did you pitch that roach out the window again?

Just spoke to Howie.....he said that they are under voluntary evacuation and everything is ready to go, but added that it is a[POLITICS ON] Republican, upper middle class, anglo neighborhood and nothing bad will happen there.[POLITICS OFF].

Reporting from the scence....this is Slits @ 419club Field Office.....back to your normal programming.

Howard
All OK here so far. Thanks for the concern. We're under voluntary evac so far, but had friends over this AM who had to pull out, so we had a houseful of people and critters. But they're back in now with no damage.
Air is foul, ash is everywhere, but WTF, I love this place smilie_pokal.gif
May have to wash the SUV
Allan
QUOTE (campbellcj @ Sep 29 2005, 01:55 PM)
I believe Howard is in the mandatory evac zone.

ohmy.gif That's right...

What exactly IS the address of that nursing home?
Aaron Cox
QUOTE (Headrage @ Sep 29 2005, 03:53 PM)

ohmy.gif That's right...

laugh.gif

glad to hear he isnt in danger....
campbellcj
Glad you're OK Howard. Apparently the temps and winds will die down tomorrow. Right now it is 97° and 10% humidity.
Carlitos Way
Well, it looks like Howard scared the fires... right back to us. I've spent the last 3 hours trying to count how many fire-retardant drops we had. Lost count at 23. I'm about 1/2 mile from the fire right now. X marks the spot in the picture. Still hearing the pesky sound of helicopters all around us. Even within the past 30 minutes we've seen a few planes flying overhead as they dropped the fire-retardant stuff.
Howard
No Mano, we've got our own biggrin.gif
Looks like it's headed towards Chris now, too. Everyone OK?
drew365
Well, I just talked to my friend Forrest, the fire is at the top of the ridge over his house. The neighborhood is evacuated except for him, he says he's staying. He also says there are SWAT cruising the neighborhood carrying heavy artillary to watch over the evacuated houses. He is just south of Woolsey Cyn., north of Roscoe on the west side of Valley Circle, in a small canyon with lots of old woodframe houses. The reservoir is engulfed on the east side of Valley Circle which means the fire is forming a U around his neighborhood. Pretty scary shit.
campbellcj
It has gotten even closer to me now, but hard to tell exactly. Clearly it is spreading on the north side of Lost Hills and Las Virgenes. Any hint it might jump the 101 and I'm outta here; otherwise my only way out will be by mountain bike.

The fire crews are doing an AWESOME job, it seems. clap.gif
reverie
Can somebody give us an update?

What's happening? Has it jumped the 101?

Agoura, Calabasas, Woodland Hills...
seanery
icon_bump.gif
drew365
I haven't spoken to Forrest, but no new structures have been reported burned so I'm sure he's okay. The temperature has cooled considerably due to the wind changing to an off shore breeze. There is still a 15 mile line of fire, but they are going to make a major effort to control it today. Containment was reported at 20% this morning.
Howard
After the press about all the 'failures' of our country's crisis response abilities, this was really something. Firemen, police and emergency workers from all over the state converged to fight this monster. One common commander is running the whole show, and so far has saved thousands of homes. The Red Cross opened the prearragnged shelters, and there is still a good suply of Evian. This is L.A, ya know.

Thank you Firefighters. beerchug.gif beerchug.gif beerchug.gif beerchug.gif

SLITS
QUOTE (Howard @ Sep 30 2005, 08:19 AM)
and there is still a good suply of Evian. This is L.A, ya know.

Thank you Firefighters. beerchug.gif beerchug.gif beerchug.gif beerchug.gif

Frog toilet water you yuppie.
reverie
Thanks for the update!... good news, good news.

I hope the offshore breeze stays until this is over.

smile.gif
campbellcj
Status update as far as I know is that it has not jumped the 101 and is laying down and well towards being contained. Weather will supposedly cooperate over the weekend. The smoke and ash are virtually gone at my location. I probably shouldn't have stayed last night; had burning eyes and wheezing all day even though I was indoors in the filtered A/C nearly the entire time.

Not to sound like a parrot, but the fire crews and LEO's really kicked a$$ the last couple of days. It almost makes me feel better about the hellish property taxes we pay. rolleyes.gif It's not over till it's over, but to thus far have only "trivial" property damage or casualties in a >20,000 acre fire is friggen amazing! flag.gif
seanery
Happy Birthday Chris! :fingerscrossed:
redshift
QUOTE (Headrage @ Sep 29 2005, 06:53 PM)

ohmy.gif That's right...

ohmy.gif

I HOPE IT'S NOT THAT ONE THAT FLOODED!

M
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.