Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Lowering front end?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
yahthatsright
How do I lower my front end. I know you have to adjust the torsion bar but I want more detail.
ArtechnikA
standard curmudgeon answer:

go buy and read a Haynes manual. it's in there.

reset your toe after.
if you go too far, your handling will go to sh!t.
SirAndy
QUOTE (yahthatsright @ Sep 29 2005, 08:56 AM)
How do I lower my front end. I know you have to adjust the torsion bar but I want more detail.

11mm wrench (or socket for you muscle challenged)

where the torsion bar meets the steering rack, there's a adjuster. turning the 11mm bolt clockwise will raise the car on that side, counter-clockwise will lower it.

if you lower the car significantly (lets say more than 5mm) you should get it re-aligned ...

haynes manual helps too ...

cool.gif Andy
yahthatsright
I checked out the haynes manual last night I just wanted to here some advice from you guys. Thanks again for the help
effutuo101
How do I lower the front end if I have the 911 suspension?
SirAndy
QUOTE (effutuo101 @ Sep 29 2005, 07:16 PM)
How do I lower the front end if I have the 911 suspension?

exactly the same way, even thought the torsion bars are bigger, the adjuster is still a 11mm bolt (one on each side) ...

can't miss 'em as they stick out the bottom ...
wink.gif Andy
effutuo101
cool. thank you Andy
jim912928
It is always a good idea to take the weight off the car when you are turning the adjusters...especially if you need to crank them back up..they have been known to strip under the weight. If you do that you have to remember to "settle" the suspension before you make more adjustments (bounce it..drive it etc.). If your car is level turn each adjuster the same number of turns. Rule of thumb, don't adjust it any lower then the control arms being level with the street when you look at them from the front underneath...any more than that and it will ride like crap!

Jim
Gint
QUOTE (jim912928 @ Sep 30 2005, 05:29 AM)
It is always a good idea to take the weight off the car when you are turning the adjusters...especially if you need to crank them back up..they have been known to strip under the weight. If you do that you have to remember to "settle" the suspension before you make more adjustments (bounce it..drive it etc.). If your car is level turn each adjuster the same number of turns. Rule of thumb, don't adjust it any lower then the control arms being level with the street when you look at them from the front underneath...any more than that and it will ride like crap!

Jim

agree.gif

I've found more than one rusty adjuster bolt too. Watch out for that. And use some anti-sieze when you put them back in.
Sammy
Roll the car back and forth enough for the tires to make a full revolution inbetween adjustments.
Changing the ride height changes toe adjustments as stated, but it also affects bump steer.
If you don't do it evenly it can also change the corner weighting will can negatively affect handling and braking if you get it out of whack far enough.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.