Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: MSD Fuel Pump Question
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
ThinAir
My MSD Fuel Pump (part #2225) seems to have come with no directions. I've got it all plumbed, but I don't know how to wire it. There are no + or - markings on the posts or the case. Seems like someone here put one of these in - can you give me some pointers? MSD tech support is slow to get back to me and I'd like to get this car back on the road!
MarkV
Do you have a meter? If you have continuity between one of the posts and the case of the pump that will be the negative post.
Brad Roberts
Should be red and black wires... red+ black-

B
ThinAir
The wires aren't the question. It's the posts on the pump that aren't marked. I'm gonna try to get out there yet tonight with my meter and see if I can tell which one is connected to the pump case. I'm embarrassed that I didn't think of that myself! sad.gif
Brad Roberts
I didint know they sold a pump without wires.. crazy.

I just hook them up to a 12 volt source and see which way the fuel goes..LOL

B
ThinAir
Somehow it just didn't seem wise to hook up the wires and see which way the fuel went. I don't know that much about 12v motors or fuel pumps, but I figured it was made to turn only 1 way and would possibly be damaged if connected wrong. Contrary to popular belief, 914 owners don't enjoy breaking there cars - at least not this one!

Anyway, MSD finally got back to me this morning with the attached picture to show the polarity. My pump does not have these markings and the test with a meter didn't help because neither pole is connected to the pump case.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.