Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 6 cylinder engine shroud color?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Eddie914
What color is the engine cooling shroud on the original 914/6?

What color is the engine tin?

Thanks

Eddie

ps: The replacement 2.7 (1977) has finally been delivered. Condition seems OK. Engine turns over freely. Carrera chain tensioners, Turbo lower valve covers, 11 blade fan, replacement oil return tubes, vavle guides look good and mostly original exhaust studs (10 original, 2 replacement ... no timecerts). We will attempt a compression check ASAP.

Wish me luck. There is not a lot of history on the engine. At least there aren't piston bits falling out of the exhaust ports like the old 2.7
ArtechnikA
QUOTE (Eddie914 @ Sep 29 2005, 04:31 PM)
What color is the engine cooling shroud on the original 914/6?

What color is the engine tin?

like the 911T it was in a former life, all black ...
Root_Werks
Hey Eddie, there were just a few colors used on the engine shrouds. Green, black and red I think?

The original six's were black I think and a 2.7 should be green.

The tin was black.

Those lower turbo valve covers, shave off the rear upper corners of the fins otherwise you will have to lower the engine to remove them.

Or you can do what I do. Leave them off, hang the engine and then try to put them on. Only shave off what you need to. Works good.

Got any pictures for us? biggrin.gif
MattR
Wasnt there a yellow shroud from the factory? And bare fiberglass (for the racecars)?

Ive always been partial to bare fiberglass, but I guess I need to get a six first...
ArtechnikA
QUOTE (Root_Werks @ Sep 29 2005, 04:34 PM)
...a 2.7 should be green.

a "plain" 2,7 is green.

like all S's, a 2,7S should be red, AFAIK. (mine is, i think it's original. i donno. a can of red Krylon is like a 'Type-R' sticker -- adds 50HP...)

i do not recall any (Porsche) factory yellow.

the race car "natural" was a layup; the production car shrouds are more like a chopper-gun mat.
sixnotfour
2.2 T black
2.2 S red
2.4 T yellow
2.4 E green
2.4 S red
2.7nonS black
2.7 S green
3.0 SC red
maxwelj
Most of the shroud is black, but there is a gray piece leading back from the fan/alternator stand. My intake manifolds are black as well, although many I've seen weren't painted.
Root_Werks
QUOTE (sixnotfour @ Sep 29 2005, 12:51 PM)
2.2 T black
2.2 S red
2.4 T yellow
2.4 E green
2.4 S red
2.7nonS black
2.7 S green
3.0 SC red

That's a cool list, thanks Jeff! smile.gif
SLITS
hijacked.gif

Does this mean if I change the color of my shroud, the engine will make more HP?

:hijackover:

Thanks for the color chart.
Cap'n Krusty
QUOTE (sixnotfour @ Sep 29 2005, 12:51 PM)
2.2 T black
2.2 S red
2.4 T yellow
2.4 E green
2.4 S red
2.7nonS black
2.7 S green
3.0 SC red

1974 2.7 Carreras had a red shroud. In the US, the Carrera was a trim level rather than a different engine, but the shroud was red as part of that package. The Cap'n
Cap'n Krusty
QUOTE (SLITS @ Sep 29 2005, 01:36 PM)
hijacked.gif

Does this mean if I change the color of my shroud, the engine will make more HP?

:hijackover:

Thanks for the color chart.

Yes, most definitely. When I painted the shroud red on my 36 horse VW, it made it a 111S, and it was awesomely fast! Relatively speaking. The Cap'n
ArtechnikA
QUOTE (sixnotfour @ Sep 29 2005, 04:51 PM)
2.2 T black
2.2 S red
2.4 T yellow
2.4 E green
2.4 S red
2.7nonS black
2.7 S green
3.0 SC red

close but not quite complete...

for the 2,7's it must depend on year...

in 1975 (for instance) what's shown is:

911/911S Black
Carrera 2,7 & Carrera 3,0 - Red

in the early cars it was complicated (!)

E - Green
S - Red
T - Black - through '71 and 72's with carburetors
T - Yellow - '72 -'73 with MFI
T - Black - '72+ with CIS

i don't recall my '71 E's shroud being green - but i don't know its provenance and i don't claim it's original. similarly the '75 49-state S. but i do know that 914.6's were black, which IIRC was the original question :-)

(and yes, they all had the grey internal ductwork...)
Root_Werks
That is a good point, how many engines have the stock shroud still on them? Probably a lot, but many of them have probably been changed out over time.

I guess you could always look for your favorite color? biggrin.gif I have very honestly never cared what color my shroud was. Alway had bigger fish to fry. Like oil leaks. laugh.gif
sixnotfour
my 75 911S had an apple green shroud, confused24.gif

BTW eddie wants Yellow cause its faster
J P Stein
Rattle can engine enamel works best biggrin.gif
It gets hot down on top of the heads.
Gint
I'm paintin mine Chevy Orange!

(To match the tangerine of course)
type47fan
QUOTE (sixnotfour @ Sep 29 2005, 03:32 PM)
my 75 911S had an apple green shroud, confused24.gif

agree.gif My '75 911-S Targa's shroud was green. . . .with a hint of brown around the edges from the heat generated by the thermal destructors, er, reactors! mad.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.