Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: bumpers on 75/76 cars
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
whaletailcanada
Has any one out there tried to mount older metal bumpers on later rubber bumper cars we are doing a 914 6 project on a rust free late car that had the late stlye bumpers any thoughts or help? Randy
Allan
Yep, just did mine.

Old
Allan
New
Dave_Darling
Show him the tabs you had to cut off. There's one on each side of each bumper; they're where the bumper cover hooked onto. Also the front lip of the channel where the front trunk seal goes is taller, you need to deal with that (cut it or remove/replace it).

The reinforcements for the bumper mounts should already be present in the front fenders; not sure about the rear trunk. The rear bumper mounting bolts have the upper two in the trunk, and the lower two below the trunk floor.

--DD
MoveQik
QUOTE (whaletailcanada @ Sep 29 2005, 12:35 PM)
Has any one out there tried to mount older metal bumpers on  later rubber bumper cars we are doing a 914 6  project on a rust free late car that had the late stlye bumpers any thoughts or help?  Randy

See my blog. I did it. You have to cut off these tabs and the lip that runs right below the front trunk lid. Easy swap to do.
Allan
front tabs. 1 on each side.
Allan
oops
MoveQik
QUOTE (Headrage @ Sep 29 2005, 03:25 PM)
front tabs. 1 on each side.

Oh yeah...those too!
Allan
And this channel needs to be cut back.
Allan
Same on the rear.
MoveQik
I just drilled the spot welds enough to pop them off and then smoothed everything out. No need to drill all the way through.
Allan
Then ya gotta plug these hole so water doesn't get in the trunk. I'm going to use the shock retainers as a template and make some plugs in case somebody down the road wants to go back to original.

sixnotfour
FYI; If you go with fiberglass bumpers the front edge /channel supports the top edge of the bumper nicely.
RustyWa
QUOTE (sixnotfour @ Sep 29 2005, 04:57 PM)
FYI; If you go with fiberglass bumpers the front edge /channel supports the top edge of the bumper nicely.

That's sweet to know. If you went with fiberglass, do you think you could get by with not having to remove the tabs on the sides? If needed could you modify the fiberglass to fit around them without it looking like you modified the bumper?
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.