Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Pulling fuel injector leads...
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
BMartin914
Testing the functionality of my FI last night I decided to pull the injector leads one at a time to see if it made any dirfference in the running condition.

Pulled #1 and it kept running like nothing had happened. Pulled #4 and it died. Restarted it and pulled #2 and it kept running like it had been, pulled #3 and it died.

Is this indicitive of something? I expected maybe a stumble, but not for it to die.
phantom914
Definitely something wrong. The #1 and #2 injectors are not working or actually more likely, they are not being triggered. Are you counting the cylinders correctly? I thought that #1/#3 were paired and #2/#4 were paired.

Since a pair is bad, I suspect the trigger points or a wire harness problem. A bad ECU could cause it, but that is the least likely cause.

To verify that it is not the injectors, swap the connections. Swap #1 and #2 and swap #3 with #4. Do your test again. If #1 and #2 now cause the engine to die and disconnecting #3 and #4 don't make a difference, then it is not the injectors.

Andrew
goose2
The injectors are diagonally paired on the trigger points but paired differently (laterally, I think) on the grounds. If you have 2 injectors not working and they are not diagonally opposed, check the grounds on top of the engine case.
Katmanken
Make sure the injectors are plugged in correctly.

Since the 914 engine is batch fired, it fires in pairs.

If one of the pairs is not working AND the injectors are plugged in wrong, your symptoms can happen.

Ken
Dave_Darling
Check the injector grounds at the rear crank case seam. You may have to move some stuff to get to the ground lugs.

--DD
BMartin914
All of my grounds have been tied into ONE by the PO. When I had it apart a couple of weeks ago, I cut off the old ground lead and soldered on a gold plated ring terminal and tied it into one of the case bolts on top of the engine.

As a result, all of my grounds should be good.

I will ahve some time to look at it this evening and see if I can find anyhting else.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.