Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Well, now I've done it...
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
HeloMech
I've got someone coming over to look at the MG tonight. Hopefully it will sell as I am in need of space in my garage. You may or may not recall one of my few posts. My grandfather had a 914 and my father had one which was rumored to be in parts in storage somewhere. Well, after not seeing my father for about 14 years, he came to town for something and we were able to visit and catch up. I had a chance to expres my interests in 914's and ask about his. It's TRUE!! he DOES still have the 914 in parts/pieces in storage. Racing carbs of some sort, a ton of stock and aftermarket parts/bits/pieces, windshield off, etc. Long story shor... well, less long... We chit chatted a bit and the end result was that if I go to oregon and pick it up, his 914 is MINE!! That's pretty much all I know about it. Other than it was ORANGE when I was a kid. lol.

The selling of the MG should about finance a trip out to get the car and rent a box truck to get it home... unless I talk my friend with a toy hauler into making a bonzai run to Oregon and back. Either way, some time before the end of the year, I should finally have a 914 to start playing with. I might wish that I hadn't taken it once I see it in pieces... but, well, ya know. smilie_pokal.gif

Will post more as the situation progresses.

Robert
SirAndy
sweet! smilie_pokal.gif

maybe it's a /6 ?
idea.gif Andy
Gint
You can't beat that. Welcome aboard!
seanery
clap.gif

and congrats on spending time with your pops after 14 years.
JB 914
That's great news!! Hope your road trip goes well!!
Aaron Cox
welcome aboard Matey piratenanner.gif
HeloMech
Thanks for the welcomes and hoorays and such.

I just sent off an email to the fahsha to see if he can tell me more about the car. What year, parts, condition, RUST, anything like that. what motor, yada yada yada. When I met with him he had a FILM camera that he was taking pics with. I can't imagine having to DEVELOP film pics anymore... lol.

Anyway, he should still be on vacation, so when he get's home and replies to the email, I'll post anything new I learn about the car. I sold the MG last night so, GAME ON!
ClayPerrine
Welcome to the club!!! (another one lured to the Narp Side of the Porsche). rolleyes.gif

And I get to say it!!!!

thisthreadisworthlesswithoutpics.gif
Root_Werks
Very cool! I can't wait to see pictures!
HeloMech
hehe, Sheesh... I'm in SoCal and the car is SOMEWHERE in Oregon or Washington.. haven't even cleared THAT part up yet. When he get's home I'll see if I can get him to send me SOME kind of pic... even a pic of it from before he took it apart or something.

I have met a few of the club members from a small get together in Fountain Valley one night. I'm terrible with names... but there was that one guy, his wife... hm, little buttons... or snaps.. or something like that. And toast and her friend... and the guy with a V8 in the white 914... and and and... well yeah, I forget.
JB 914
QUOTE (HeloMech @ Sep 30 2005, 09:58 AM)
but there was that one guy, his wife... hm, little buttons... or snaps.. or something like that. And toast and her friend... and the guy with a V8 in the white 914... and and and... well yeah, I forget.

HEY HEY I have the wife and two little buttons!! What do i win? lol2.gif

The guy with the V-8 car was Scott Kline. The car is a Shalom kit. Has something to do with some Kabballa off shoot religion formed by Ron (aka SLITS)

It seems that back in the day Ron and some friends were enjoying some fine Mexican Herb and Ron had a vision. The next time a large comet comes near Earth he needs to be ready with his followers in "Shalom" styled 914's

So, a few years back Ron commissioned Scott Kline to build the ultimate prototype. Since that time Scott has left Ron's sect and no longer attends services. It seems that Ron strictly forbids the consumption of Propel Fitness water....something Scott just cannot seem to part with.

Toast got her name because her family was the first to "toast" pop tarts. Something they failed to patent and thus loose $$ everytime we heat one of those tasty treats.

HeloMech
Mmmmmm poptarts....
Aaron Cox
QUOTE (HeloMech @ Sep 30 2005, 09:58 AM)
hehe, Sheesh... I'm in SoCal and the car is SOMEWHERE in Oregon or Washington.. haven't even cleared THAT part up yet. When he get's home I'll see if I can get him to send me SOME kind of pic... even a pic of it from before he took it apart or something.

I have met a few of the club members from a small get together in Fountain Valley one night. I'm terrible with names... but there was that one guy, his wife... hm, little buttons... or snaps.. or something like that. And toast and her friend... and the guy with a V8 in the white 914... and and and... well yeah, I forget.

oh! you were the guy on the bike!

wink.gif

im the ugly big tall guy smile.gif
HeloMech
Wow, this whole information gathering process is quite the pain in the butt. Apparently when the gov't, in it's infinite wisdom, migrated our email server, we lost alot of mail that was 'sent'... yet, is floating around somewhere now.

anyway, I just received an email this morning from da fahsha... Still no pics but I now know that the car is a 1974 1.8. At this point it's a rolling chasis with the engine/tranny still installed. No windshield on the car. No listing of all the parts he's bought over the years yet either. No mention of rust, though I totally expect it to have some. I figure WORST case scenario is I get the car, strip off what I can use and pic up another tub for it.

Anyway, will post more when I know more. Weeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
HeloMech
Hi, me again.

another e-mail rolled in. I send probing emails back each day, hoping for more and more little tidbits of info. This is what I learned today.

The car has a new clutch and throttle cables, fuel pump was moved to front to avoid vapor lock (?), reinforced gas pedal (this spells rust to me), new brakes and wheels (dunno what kind) and has 912 gears in tranny (rrRR?). Body has a couple dents that were there when he bought it (still there)... suggests engine rebuild (would have anyway) and paint. oh, needs tires too.

will post more as I learn more... weee
HeloMech
Hi, remember me? Long time...

I've since started a small sign shop, that with a full time job I haven't had time to get out to pick up the 914. However, good news is... The fahsha told me today that he's retiring in August. Shortly after that he's planning on moving to Victorville. Now, if I can just coax him into bring EVERYTHING with him, I have the garage space for the 914 now that the MG and one sportbike are gone. Gonna have to dump the gokart to make space for the other 'gokart'.

So, maybe by the end of the year I'll actually have a new project to start on.

Weeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.