Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Sail vinyl
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
watsonrx13
After installing new vinyl that I got from the upholstery store, I have a lot left over. Can I use this vinyl on the sail panels?

Allan
I think that would depend on how thick it is and what kind of texture is has. You wouldn't want it to look like a landau top...
watsonrx13
It's not thick at all, same as the original. I was just wondering if there is 'indoor' and 'outdoor' versions of vinyl....
watsonrx13
icon_bump.gif
bondo
Is it the stuff with the soft fluffy backside? I think sail vinyl is just plain cloth on the back. I's worry about the fluffy stuff trapping water.
Root_Werks
For $20, CAMP sells all three very correct pieces. Don't risk it. smile.gif
Tobra
QUOTE (Root_Werks @ Sep 30 2005, 08:24 AM)
For $20, CAMP sells all three very correct pieces. Don't risk it. smile.gif

agree.gif
what he said
dmenche914
interior upolstrey vinyl may not last ver long ont eh exterior of the car. Intrerior stuff generally has more plastisizers in them to make them soft and flexable however they degrade quickly in sunlight, I thinkt he exterior grade vinyl has more UV inhidators, and less flexability. Gett he stuff rater for out door use. Alsot he indoor use stuff might be somewhat porous, certainly after it starts breaking down int he sun, this will allow water backt here, rusting out the sail panel. use the right stuff.

Dr. Roger
agree.gif
If your going to go local for vinyl source check out maring grade vinyl. If it will stand up to sun and salt, then it should be a good option for sail panels.

We re upholstered some seats on our boat and they really stood up well but all vinyl requires regular maintance. =-) U already know that.

Now if you can find some simulated alligator skin vinyl...... happy11.gif aktion035.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.