Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Center console....
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Chromatech
Being a newb I didn't pay close attention (prior to purchase)when I was going over my newly acquired '73. Anyhow what I thought was part of the appearance group turned out to be a 25+ year old aftermarket console. Anybody know anything about these? confused24.gif

Todd

Aaron Cox
AMCO
tat2dphreak
can't remember the name of the company(want to say it starts with an "A" though(dunno why)

but they were made in the 70s as an aftermarket for car without... I think they are quite rare in good shape now... and should fetch enough on ebay(I'd think) to get you a stock-like replacement... if that's what you wanted... I think they are pretty cool myself.
Aaron Cox
there is also an upper half that holds 3 gauges in a horizontal layout....

somone has pics...

and again... AMCO console
Chromatech
Thanks for the info guys! Knowledgable and speedy...gotta love this group. I probably will sell it and pick up a factory one later on.

Cheers beerchug.gif

Todd
tdgray
I think, and I may be wrong, the manufacturer is AMPCO.

This is the same outfit that made tons of aftermarket stuff for my MGA and MGB's.

Nifty little find there dude.

Dave_Darling
Check Jeff Bowlsby's 914 Collectibles site; he has a listing of accessories. I believe this console is on there.

http://members.rennlist.com/914_collectibl...Accessories.htm

--DD
SirAndy
QUOTE (Chromatech @ Sep 29 2005, 05:02 PM)
Anybody know anything about these?

yepp, AMCO ...

you're missing the upper part with the gauges ...

user posted image

wink.gif Andy
Flat VW
I have one in the 72' car, I like it, quite comfortable.

I have always wondered what one would use the big black switches (2) for though.... confused24.gif

John
Aaron Cox
QUOTE (Flat VW @ Sep 29 2005, 06:43 PM)
I have one in the 72' car, I like it, quite comfortable.

I have always wondered what one would use the big black switches (2) for though.... confused24.gif

John

..power windows....
Hammy
When I got my 914... I think there was something similar to that in the front trunk... at least the top gauges part... Think I threw it out. unsure.gif damn.
Flat VW
QUOTE (Aaron Cox @ Sep 29 2005, 05:45 PM)
John [/QUOTE]
..power windows....

The switches do not appear to be momentary as I might expect with "power windows", Aaron are you "pullin' my leg"?

J
Chromatech
QUOTE (SirAndy @ Sep 29 2005, 05:37 PM)
QUOTE (Chromatech @ Sep 29 2005, 05:02 PM)
Anybody know anything about these?

you're missing the upper part with the gauges ...

I noticed that there were mounting holes on top of the front part.....so there is piece for a gauge pod missing.

Once again thanks for the info!

Todd
Aaron Cox
QUOTE (Flat VW @ Sep 29 2005, 06:50 PM)
[QUOTE=Aaron Cox,Sep 29 2005, 05:45 PM] John [/QUOTE]
..power windows.... [/QUOTE]
The switches do not appear to be momentary as I might expect with "power windows", Aaron are you "pullin' my leg"?

J

smile.gif
Dr Evil
I got one and I like it, BUT it doesn't fit right with my short shift kit as the shifter is raised about 1/2" dry.gif
Grimstead
Hi Todd,
Would it be possible to get some more pictures of the that (different angles & such)? One of these day I had thought of making something simmular to that (just the arm rest part).
Thanks,
BIll
lotus_65
yup, just like mine, 'cept i have 2 gaudy red lights on the face that corrispond to the switches.

QUOTE (Flat VW @ Sep 29 2005, 08:43 PM)

the switches are for seat heaters, i swear to pete, it's seat heaters. laugh.gif

(i got into it with a bunch of these guys a while back who said no way, but i'm standing firm, as if i know how to find my a$$ with both hands screwy.gif )
Chromatech
QUOTE (Grimstead @ Sep 29 2005, 06:49 PM)
Hi Todd,
Would it be possible to get some more pictures of the that (different angles & such)? One of these day I had thought of making something simmular to that (just the arm rest part).
Thanks,
BIll

If you want I can send pics by e-mail tonight rather than take up bandwidth here. Unless anyone else is interested.

Cheers

Todd
SLITS
QUOTE (Flat VW @ Sep 29 2005, 06:50 PM)
[QUOTE=Aaron Cox,Sep 29 2005, 05:45 PM] John [/QUOTE]
..power windows.... [/QUOTE]

J

Air conditioning......one switch to activate the compressor clutch....the other to activate the condenser fan or evaporator blower fan.

Otherwise, something to do with your right hand fingers on a long drive. Click Click Click Click...and you don't even have to wash afterward.

Top that Mr Budding M.E..........
Grimstead
QUOTE (Chromatech @ Sep 30 2005, 07:28 AM)
Hi Todd,
Would it be possible to get some more pictures of the that (different angles & such)?  One of these day I had thought of making something simmular to that (just the arm rest part).
Thanks,
BIll

If you want I can send pics by e-mail tonight rather than take up bandwidth here. Unless anyone else is interested.

Cheers

Todd

Whichever way is best for you. Thanks again!
lotus_65
mine
spare time toys
I have one of those but it has 4 gauge holes in the top part. I took it over to the MUSR for the swap area. Still got it I will have it at Zims swap coming up in Nov.
Grimstead
I not sure I'm too keen on the console part but I really like the idea of a taller arm rest/storage area.

I'll tell you what though, if I ever make one (and it doesn't seem that hard) it will have a cupholder damnit! I don't care if Aaron says that is what passengers are for. slap.gif
SLITS
If you look at Aaron's car, you will see the firewall is cut out so he can slide farther back......his BF Matt can sit on his lap and drive...that's Aaron's cup holder....................that's why he doesn't like the high seat rest on the center console....

:drumrollsmiley:
STL914
Hi Todd,
Would it be possible to get some more pictures of the that (different angles & such)?  One of these day I had thought of making something simmular to that (just the arm rest part).
Thanks,
BIll

This is what the PO of my white 74 built to raise the center console. It's made from sheet metal and is covered in vinyl:
STL914
Same console, opened. The CD changer was installed in here:
cooltimes
Anyone have a photo showing topic subject console installed including the complete dash with other instruments and gages.
That other console /arm rest/ cd change shown needs more vinyl IMHO.
TIA.
Mike Cooley
Memphis
Aaron Cox
QUOTE (SLITS @ Sep 30 2005, 12:58 PM)
If you look at Aaron's car, you will see the firewall is cut out so he can slide farther back......his BF Matt can sit on his lap and drive...that's Aaron's cup holder....................that's why he doesn't like the high seat rest on the center console....

did they take away your drivers license yet old man?

they will when they find out you arent taking your prozac....
Grimstead
QUOTE (STL914 @ Oct 1 2005, 08:28 AM)
This is what the PO of my white 74 built to raise the center console. It's made from sheet metal and is covered in vinyl:

Thanks for the photos Gary, they will help as well. beerchug.gif
STL914
QUOTE (cooltimes @ Oct 1 2005, 08:31 AM)
Anyone have a photo showing topic subject console installed including the complete dash with other instruments and gages.
That other console /arm rest/ cd change shown needs more vinyl IMHO.
TIA.
Mike Cooley
Memphis

I'm not quite sure what you mean when you say it needs more vinyl Mike, the sides, front and back are all covered with white vinyl. If I install it in my 72, I'll recover it in tan or black vinyl.

Here's another picture of an Amco console installed:

Chromatech
Hi Todd,
Thanks,
BIll

Bill,

Sorry it took so long to get these up but I've been on the road theis week.

Todd
Chromatech
and another.....
Chromatech
and another.......
Chromatech
and the last one......
Grimstead
QUOTE (Chromatech @ Oct 5 2005, 05:28 PM)
Bill,

Sorry it took so long to get these up but I've been on the road theis week.

Todd

No worries Todd, thanks for the pictures! clap.gif

I was just thinking about how I'm going to design mine Today also, so perfect timing.
Thanks again,
Bill
shaggy
i have one of those in my '72

i like it alot. it puts my arm at just the right height to shift

i happen to be about 5' 10.75'' though

so im not sure how well it would fit a taller person

how are yours held in though?
cuz right now mines just set in there, dry.gif just kinda floating dry.gif ...it moves if the passenger happens to bump it sad.gif ...

so how are they properly secured?
i dont wanna just get some screws and drive 'em in and hope they hold, let alone hope i dont hit something important putting them in.

so hows it really suppost to be done?
MarkV
My new console. Not very secure when driving.gif .
MattR
QUOTE (SLITS @ Sep 30 2005, 11:58 AM)

Play nice, old man or we'll take away your computer and put you back in the padded room.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.