Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Removing air injection pump pulley assy...
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
914zim
Guys:

I just spent the last hour in the garage working on the 914, trying to get this friggin' air pump assembly off, so I can replace the belt and I'm not having any luck.

If I can get the 13mm socket with a 3" extension on one of the 3 bolts (it's difficult to see, even when using a mirror), I can't stop the fan from turning when I try to loosen the bolt. I'm assuming CCW is loosening them. I've sprayed (as best I could) with liquid wrench and I'll let them soak for a while.

Anyone know of good (safe) way to stop the fan from turning while trying to loosen these 3 bolts?
I think my Haynes manual shows allen or 12 point bolts, but I have hex-sided bolts on mine.

Any help is appreciated. This is really pissing me off! headbang.gif headbang.gif

Thanks,
Andy...
Mueller
QUOTE (914zim @ Sep 29 2005, 05:38 PM)
Guys:

I just spent the last hour in the garage working on the 914, trying to get this friggin' air pump assembly off, so I can replace the belt and I'm not having any luck.

If I can get the 13mm socket with a 3" extension on one of the 3 bolts (it's difficult to see, even when using a mirror), I can't stop the fan from turning when I try to loosen the bolt. I'm assuming CCW is loosening them. I've sprayed (as best I could) with liquid wrench and I'll let them soak for a while.

Anyone know of good (safe) way to stop the fan from turning while trying to loosen these 3 bolts?
I think my Haynes manual shows allen or 12 point bolts, but I have hex-sided bolts on mine.

Any help is appreciated. This is really pissing me off! headbang.gif headbang.gif

Thanks,
Andy...

put the car in gear?????

if motor is out, stop the flywheel from turning
Dave_Darling
I, uhh... Well, I stuff a screwdriver down the timing hole and through the fan blades. I try to keep it at the back, near the base of the blades, so there's less torque on them. (That's to remove the fan, though, since I don't have a smog pump.) I figure I only need to remove the fan once every decade or so, so it's worth the risk.

--DD
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.