Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: YEAH We're back up!!!
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Scott Carlberg
WOW, was that ever scary!

Difficult to imagine exactly how much time we spend here, huh?

You guys that run this site are AWESOME pray.gif smilie_pokal.gif smilie_flagge24.gif
Brad Roberts
I cant believe that my SINGLE home box can shut everyone down in less than 30 minutes.

I completely blew it away and rebuilt it in the time the site was down.

I *thought* we had secured a secondary DNS server..so I wouldnt have this problem when I shut my home DNS server down.

B
SirAndy
jeeze, i missed it!
went out to have some kuba-libres while you guys had cold turkey ...

Andy
Alfred
My computer crashed big time last Thursday and I learned a lot trying to get it back up. For example, it is a very bad idea to format your 20GB hard drive from a DOS startup disk! headbang.gif Something about FAT 16 ony being able to recognize hard drives up to 2GB. And, do not pay for Microsoft phone technical support ... they do not answer their phones!

Alfred
SirAndy
QUOTE(Alfred @ Aug 7 2003, 12:03 AM)
My computer crashed big time last Thursday and I learned a lot trying to get it back up. For example, it is a very bad idea to format your 20GB hard drive from a DOS startup disk! headbang.gif Something about FAT 16 ony being able to recognize hard drives up to 2GB.

Alfred

hehe, yepp, if you had asked me ....

you need to boot up from CD-Rom with a newer windows (like 2000) to partition bigger than 2GB.
don't use FAT32! as it isn't really supported anymore...
use NTFS instead.

Andy
Alfred
I eventually figured it out and booted up from a Windows 95 startup disk that I found and then I ran fdisk, format c:/s and then used my recovery CDs. Took me a while to figure out that I needed to reinstall the original CD drive that came with my 'puter for the recovery CDs to work. headbang.gif I'm ok now.

Alfred
iansale
Brad,
ZoneEdit (zoneedit.com) will serve five DNS zones for free... wonder if that might be a REAL inexpensive way to give you the flexibility to take down your DNS server whenever you need to without sending us into convulsions?
EdwardBlume
It so unsatisfying when you go for the 914club link and get nothing..... that's when you know you've got a recurring 914 club habit! wink.gif
Brad Roberts
Ian.. thanks for the tip.

How do they make money ?? (is always my first question when something is free)

B
iansale
Well, Brad, I had the same question. Then, I woke up one morning and had 8 zones hosted by ZoneEdit. Still, only got a few bucks/month from me. Seemed to be a very reliable service, though.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.