Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: New start
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
ppickerell
So my main 914 project is still in a state of limbo........................................................ I am not even sure what color it was......

I saw a 914-6GT project on the rotisserie the other day that has really got me to thinking. Maybe I will start another project and go the six or rat4 flared GT route. I'm tired of not having a running 914. So vendors, half finished project hawkers, finished car sellers beware. I am beginning to believe that I can do this car right. I don't think that I care about historical accuracy to an extreme degree, but they did so many things right with these cars it is sensible to stick close to the plan. Wish me luck. dry.gif
neo914-6
Good luck Patrick! smilie_pokal.gif

Why not have McMark go through your chassis and just have fun assembling it how you want? It would be great if someone would start a line of ready to assemble 914's...

ppickerell
QUOTE (neo914-6 @ Sep 29 2005, 06:01 PM)
Good luck Patrick! smilie_pokal.gif

Why not have McMark go through your chassis and just have fun assembling it how you want? It would be great if someone would start a line of ready to assemble 914's...

I could see doing some more bidness with McMan. Some people don't realize it, but I can be a good vendor's best friend. Just don't bullshit me.
McMark
biggrin.gif

Yeah, it's all about the chassis. We were talking at the V8 Hooters afterparty about how you only get one chance to do the chassis right. Everything else bolts on from there. If you skimp on the chassis, it's a major PITA to strip everything back down.

I'd love to be able to sell fully prepped chassis painted to someone's specs, but the speculative $ of getting started is a little far out for me.
ppickerell
That's what got me thinking was chassis. Study carefully what stiffening steps were done at the factory for the orginal 916gt's. I just saw a car with all of that done and there had to be 250 hrs worth of welding done to it. This car will be so stiff! So because I am an idiot and have "Take advantage of me" written all over my face I have 20K into a non-running car that has NO chassis stiffening done. IF I start another 914 project it will be chassis up!
Hammy
QUOTE (ppickerell @ Sep 30 2005, 02:41 PM)
I have 20K into a non-running car that has NO chassis stiffening done.

What'd you spend 20k on..
ppickerell
$4500 for rust free nice car
Motor rebuild and spice up
tranny redo with LSD
coated euro race headers
bursch muff
koni yellows
rennshift
various repairs such as gages and door handles etc.

This car is in nice original condition and I am thinking about not hacking it up for race.

should be done this decade

mad.gif
neo914-6
Patrick,

I can relate to some of your projects as I'm trying to refurbish my 20 year old V8 project AND build a new car. The V8 chassis had alot of rust and it got to the point of Brad suggesting a chassis swap AFTER he and crew go it running. ohmy.gif Some was addressed but more has developed or was missed and there is more to find. sad.gif The fiberglass body doesn't help. My new car actually doesn't have chassis stiffening and it was track raced.

I speak to alot of guys with major 914 conversion or race projects and all wish we could find a reliable builder, mechanic, or parts vendors. I would like to pool resources for some parts or services we could all use...
mightyohm
McMark - What if you sold stripped, dipped, and primered chassis of several classic cars known for rust? I'm thinking 914, Bmw 2002, 240Z, 510, MGB.... Wouldn't that be an interesting business. You could do floor pan replacement, strengthening, custom things like cages, oil cooler mods, etc.
idea.gif
J P Stein
As usual my advice would be go buy a completed car.I't will cost less and you can go drive. It could be sold later or about the same price when your dream car is done.

A man with 2 projects is a gluton for punishment biggrin.gif
neo914-6
QUOTE (jkeyzer @ Oct 1 2005, 10:45 AM)
McMark - What if you sold stripped, dipped, and primered chassis of several classic cars known for rust?  I'm thinking 914, Bmw 2002, 240Z, 510, MGB....   Wouldn't that be an interesting business.  You could do floor pan replacement, strengthening, custom things like cages, oil cooler mods, etc.  
idea.gif

Jeff,

Mark and I discussed this several times. In the 80's there was a business that mass refurbished 2002's and Volvos. It's not as cheap as most realize. The disassembly labor, dipping, welding, and painting adds up to ~$10-12k one at a time (correct me if I missquoted you Mark). An assembly line run can be cheaper but you'd have to presell most of them or have investors. Most don't realize what a fully refurbished car costs because most of us buy a runner for ~$1-5k and invest their time themselves along with a slow but constant stream of money. Some of us are good at it but most flounder at juggling projects large or small. It's fine if you like the clean up part of the project, can afford the car's down time, have the facilities, and can manage your free time and motivation but this can amount to many many many years. If you could buy a (finished) chassis, a rebuilt drivetrain, new parts then you'll have a near factory fresh 914 to your preferences within months assembly time...any takers?

JP,

Yes a gluten if you don't outsource...

Ok, still a gluten by outsourcing... laugh.gif
redshift
I have as much in a similar car, Pat.

There is a guy in Arizona, that restored a '63 Olds Starfire softtop for my father. Bottom line on his restorations is $60k, and you pay for the parts..

wacko.gif

What a nice car!

M
McMark
Felix, $10-12k would be about right for a sorted chassis (no suspension work, etc, just the shell) with nice paint (not show quality, but nice paint, think of a new car). Of course this is really just an estimate. It would take a few times through the process to really nail things down.

Jeff, it would be awesome to be able to offer this kind of service for those models you listed. Which also, coincidentally is pretty much my list of favorite cars.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.