Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Vacuum Hose Question
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
billd
I finished restoring the D-Jet EFI on my 73 2.0L and fired it up. It runs!

However, I have a few questions about routing the vacuum hoses.

1. There are two vacuum fittings on the distributor. A 5mm fitting on the near side (toward the distributor) and a 3mm fitting on the far side. The 5mm appears to go to a connection on the far side of the throttle body. Where does the 3mm fitting go? I've seen pictures that show it going to a fitting on the near side of the throttle body, but there is no fitting there on my car.

2. There are two 11mm vacuum connections on the side of the plenum toward the battery. Where do these go? Does the connection on the oil filler go to one of them and the decel valve to the other? I've seen pictures with a "F" shaped rubber fitting on one of these connections. Is that fitting needed? If so to route to where?

Thanks,

----Bill
TravisNeff
The larger fitting is your vacuum retard, it goes on the throttle body below the throttle plate, the smaller fitting is your vacuum advance, and it goes to the port above the throttle plate (on the throttle body).

Unless you have a 74+ throttle body, in which case there is no vacuum advance port. If that is the case, don't worry about the advance port on the distributor.
billd
OK, I must have a 74 throttle body. My EFI system is all 74 components.

By "don't worry" do you mean leave the connector open or plug it?

What about the large (11mm) connections on the plenum?
TravisNeff
The factory put a hose on the vacuum advance port, but just left it sitting loose on top of the engine, strange but true. The 11mm ports would be for your decel valve (if you have one, I don't and the hole is plugged), there is another and I believe that goes to the PVC valve at the base of the oil filler neck.
Gint
QUOTE (Travis Neff @ Sep 30 2005, 12:54 AM)
The factory put a hose on the vacuum advance port, but just left it sitting loose on top of the engine, strange but true.  The 11mm ports would be for your decel valve (if you have one, I don't and the hole is plugged), there is another and I believe that goes to the PVC valve at the base of the oil filler neck.

Travis is absolutely correct on all counts. The fact is the later 2.0 did not use vacuum advance, just retard.

I tried to run a 74 2.0 through smog in CA once a few years ago. The factory ran that advance hose up near the TB and left it laying there. The more anal SMOG tech must see a hose, or they will fail you on a visual.
Bleyseng
QUOTE (Travis Neff @ Sep 29 2005, 11:54 PM)
The factory put a hose on the vacuum advance port, but just left it sitting loose on top of the engine, strange but true. The 11mm ports would be for your decel valve (if you have one, I don't and the hole is plugged), there is another and I believe that goes to the PVC valve at the base of the oil filler neck.

Nope, the PCV valve at the oil breather goes to the plenum not the air box port on a 73-74.
Dave_Darling
Check the "EFI Hose Diagrams" on the Pelican site.

--DD
type47
similar to what dd is referring to:

TravisNeff
QUOTE (Bleyseng @ Sep 30 2005, 06:13 AM)
QUOTE (Travis Neff @ Sep 29 2005, 11:54 PM)
The factory put a hose on the vacuum advance port, but just left it sitting loose on top of the engine, strange but true.  The 11mm ports would be for your decel valve (if you have one, I don't and the hole is plugged), there is another and I believe that goes to the PVC valve at the base of the oil filler neck.

Nope, the PCV valve at the oil breather goes to the plenum not the air box port on a 73-74.

That is what I was saying.
billd
Is there a separate PCV valve in the line from the oil filler to the plenum or is this valve built into the oil filler somehow?
TravisNeff
The PVC valve is at the base of the filler assy. It is a white plastic disc, you can remove the filler assy from the case and unscrew the PVC vavle from it and replace. Cheap from the dealer, just a couple bux.
Gint
niggly little bit...

PVC is some form of plastic.

PCV is Positive Crankcase Ventilation

beerchug.gif It's beer:30!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
TravisNeff
At least I got the common demoninator, it is all plastic.. wink.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.