Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: High Power Axels
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Red-Beard
The bird offers the high HP Axels. Anyone tried these?

user posted image
bondo
Looks alot like 911 axles with adapters. That's what I have, but I haven't used them yet. Mine are second hand Renegade. They worked great for the previous owner (Otmar). He upgraded to 930 axles though when he got the 930 trans.
skline
Not trying to put down PP but Renegade sells the same ones for about 200 less. I thought about going to them but decided I wanted my weak link to be the easily replaced axles and CV joints rather than my transmission. I may change them still somewhere down the road but for now, I dont want to destroy my gearbox. It's the one you built for Z last year James. Do you think it can handle the power?
redshift
Scott, I think the transaxle is still the weak link.. I mean that the stock axles are rated higher than the r&p.

You can use stock axles on a 450hp motor, but you can't use 1st.

Are bigger CVs more reliable?

M
bondo
QUOTE (skline @ Sep 30 2005, 07:55 AM)
Not trying to put down PP but Renegade sells the same ones for about 200 less. I thought about going to them but decided I wanted my weak link to be the easily replaced axles and CV joints rather than my transmission. I may change them still somewhere down the road but for now, I dont want to destroy my gearbox. It's the one you built for Z last year James. Do you think it can handle the power?

I'm still not convinced by this argument.. I've heard of plenty of broken transmissions that were using stock axles. I think if the axles are in good shape you can break the trans first. I will be using the tires as the weak link (no LSD). burnout.gif
skline
Well, I dont use first gear at all. I just know the first trans was destroyed within the first 100 miles. This one seems to be holding up ok so far. I have not really pushed it too hard. I just want it to be reliable enough to get me to and from events and maybe an occasional cruise.
skline
QUOTE (bondo @ Sep 30 2005, 08:02 AM)

I'm still not convinced by this argument.. I've heard of plenty of broken transmissions that were using stock axles. I think if the axles are in good shape you can break the trans first. I will be using the tires as the weak link (no LSD). burnout.gif

That is another problem I have, mine has the LSD and the Billet Intermediate plate so now do I need to worry about the R&P breaking?
bondo
QUOTE (skline @ Sep 30 2005, 08:06 AM)
QUOTE (bondo @ Sep 30 2005, 08:02 AM)

That is another problem I have, mine has the LSD and the Billet Intermediate plate so now do I need to worry about the R&P breaking?

Hope for clutch slippage. biggrin.gif

Is a chalon heavier or lighter than stock? Lighter would of course extend trans life.
Andyrew
He's got a 9in... with 245s or somethin..

Your not going to get much clutch slipage, but tire slipage on the other hand...

Im running vw clutch, and I have YET to have the clutch slip running my 255's. (hooked up a couple times.. WOOO SCARRRRYYYYY, you know like, OH SHT IM GONA BREAK MY TRANI!!! ohmy.gif )
Aaron Cox
Id guess with all the f/g the BODY would be lighter....but is moot with a v8 back there...

i think he has 245's on 8" fuchs....
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.