Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Who listens to the music
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
olav

I don't have a radio/cd player in my car because I like to listen to engine and it gets pretty noisy in the car that I probably couldn't here it anyway.

I like the clean purpose built look of a pure driving machine when there is no radio.

Sometimes I use headphones though, on a long drive, to listen to Wagner's "Flight of the Valkyries". rocking nana.gif
redshift
... and I hate music.

M
Mike D.
I checked the "Yes, but I don't use it" - I prolly would, but some A-Hole swipped the Faceplate. Who steels just a face plate?? - Couldn't really hear it over the Webber 3c's anyway... biggrin.gif

I have however recently purchased morphenspectra's speakers and sub kit, so I'll will get a new stereo and small amp to push the sub. First time I've ever spent money on car stereo stuff.

-Mike D.
Root_Werks
Same, yes, don't use it. Well, most of the time I don't. Dang car is too loud to hear anything anyway. smile.gif
Gustl
there is a radio installed in my teener, but I hardly turn it on
I only use it to hear the news when I'm in a traffic jam ...

if I ever find "my" /6 there will be a historic authentic radio in it - no matter if works or not biggrin.gif
Mueller
with the new header and exhaust my /4 is actually enjoyable to listen to now....it'll never compare to the big /6 in my 911, but that is an unfair comparison smile.gif

no radio right now, but on the "to do" list smash.gif
Rhodes71/914
I wouldn't feel right if I couldn't here the sound of my engine.

On long drives I take my ipod and use the headphones a bit.
brp914
10 yrs ago I put a nice am/fm/cassette in the 6. (yeah, casette ha ha wtf). Never turned it on. Dont have speakers in the car anymore anyway. Eff it. Analogy: commercials are to music what car stereos are to a screamin' 6.
jgara962
Haven't turned the radio on once since I bought my car in May. Wife tries to, but I refuse to put the antenna up. Just wish I could hear my exhaust better! Bursch isn't loud enough for my taste.
Toast
The loud knocking sound really gets my heart racing. ohmy.gif
double-a
QUOTE (redshift @ Sep 30 2005, 09:22 AM)
... and I hate music.

M

speaking of music... miles is that klaus nomi in your avatar?

~a
jimkelly
My car came with a 35wx4 am/fm cd player - I disconnected the stock speakers and have 2 6x9's and one 10" (conected to a 100w amp in front trunk for now) laying on the forward area of the passeneger floorboard. Yes - I listen to the radio - but the pounding base often tricks my brain into thinking I am having engine problems. I can't drive without kelly clarkson, avril, weezer, etc - in my ears biggrin.gif

One problem is that when I come to a stop light - I have to qucikly lower the volume substantially cause the volume at 3000rpm needs to be much higher than at 1000 rpm or so.
Hammy
I can't drive without kelly clarkson, avril,

Was that a joke? dry.gif

One problem is that when I come to a stop light - I have to qucikly lower the volume substantially cause the volume at 3000rpm needs to be much higher than at 1000 rpm or so.

Some new stereos, if not all, have an auto volume that regulates to engine/wind noise. Works well. biggrin.gif
TravisNeff
I tossed the radio and put in gauges in it's place.
mikerose
Top off volume up driving.gif
SirAndy
NO

the damm car is way too loud anyways, don't answer the phone while driving either. can't carry a conversation with the passanger.

it's actually a bit quieter with the top *off* ...
wacko.gif Andy
lapuwali
Same boat as Andy. I have no engine lid at all right now (broken mount), and it will be a GT-style lid once it goes back on, anyway, just like Andy's. That and twin carbs with K&Ns makes for a lot of noise in the cabin. There's a radio in the car now, but it will be coming out as part of the Great Rewire™, and not going back in.

That will make me 3 for 3 on cars with no radio...
Allan
I said yes but don't use it but that's only because my current set-up is useless unless I'm sitting still with the top on and the windows up. After all my body and paint work is done I'm going to see what can be done about sound proofing the car to the point that a stereo will sound good.

But, I'm also afraid that my motor may be making weird sounds and I wont be able to hear it...
SGB
I am very satisfied with the recent work I have done to civilize my 914. New, lightweight sound mat, new window squeegies, rebuilt seats, bilsteins instead of KYB, extensive nut & bolt tighteneing, realigning windows and doors and a little suspension attachment reinforcement have combined to eliminate a lote of rattles and sqeeks. Replacing missing exhaust studs, installing SSI HEs, tightening muffler flanges really reduced exhaqust noise. Mallory diz, carb rebuild, and new linkage that actually balences have changed combustion sound in a big way. I can motor around like my mom, and don't even get "loud car" stares, but if I drop the hammer quick it goes "BUZZZZZZZZZZ!" pretty loudly. Unfortunately it sounds like a rice pipe a little, but it really is coming from the longer intake manifolds I got as part of my carb rehabilitation project. So I got mp3 player and subwoofer and power amp (all with new fused circuit) that I could hear if I turned it on. Sometimes I use it in the garage if I didn't unhook the battery to do whatever I'm out there for, and I did listen to a few things on my 16 hr trip to Hershey, but I like the engine sound better anyway.
Hammy
QUOTE (SGB @ Sep 30 2005, 01:18 PM)
New, lightweight sound mat

Where do you put the mat(s)? Where'd you get them? idea.gif
redshift
QUOTE (double-a @ Sep 30 2005, 02:30 PM)
QUOTE (redshift @ Sep 30 2005, 09:22 AM)
... and I hate music.

M

speaking of music... miles is that klaus nomi in your avatar?

~a

http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?act=...ST&f=37&t=38983

German Barry Goldwater

M
SGB
Pelican has similar material, already cut and bound at edges, I think, but I got stuff from JC Whitney (I bet 911 owners would never admit to JC whitney parts!), a foil backed foam sheet with some kind of bitumen type stuff just under the foil. It iis almost twice as thick as the pad I took out of the engine compartment, but prolly 30% of the weight. I think it was in the RV section of their catalog. dry.gif
Oh, I replaced the engine compartment pad, and also cut a piece to fit under the engine lid between the rear window and the drip tray- that one cut carb noise noticably.
McMark
If I don't have a stereo in my car, I end up with one line of a song stuck in my head for 45 minutes. I won't even realize until I've gone through it for the millionth time and I drive myself crazy. I need my stereo.
Rand
The faceplate on my stereo was also stolen - before I got the car. I removed the entire stereo system and am working on a new dash face which covers the holes. This summer, my rear window was out and engine lid was off.... couldn't hear anything over the engine. Sometimes I use a portable radio/MP3 player with Sony Fontopia headphones (not to be a commercial, but those are the best sounding, best noise blocking headphones I've found) but I don't like blocking out the engine noise too long at a time because I want to hear the health of it... or know immediately if something starts to go wrong.

campbellcj
There's no way I could hear a stereo in my 914, even if I actually wanted to. Well, isolating or active cancellation earbuds/headphones might work, but that is illegal as well as unsafe.
sportlicherFahrer
I love blasting my music. People look at me real funny when they hear classic '70's rock comin from an old car with a 20 year old drivin! But i dont have it too loud, I am paranoid about engine noises.
redshift
I actually have a radio, but I ran out of starter wire, so I used the wires that go in, and out of it to tie onto the starter.

You have to turn on the radio, and switch to SW to get ignition, and then you have to tune to 1450.54m to get the starter spinning... it's like.. analog security.

(like anyone wouldfucking steal a 914!)

Ooops... sorry.. Kevin.

M
Air_Cooled_Nut
Hummmm...interesting topic...

Well, in my current 914 there is just a hole where a stereo used to be. Speaker pods are present. Most likely I'll put in a satellight music system because...

In my Jetta (daily driver) I have an Alpine unit (which I found I really, honestly like more than my previous tactile Sony units blink.gif ). 40watts, four quality speakers, no cheap-o stuff but not over-the-top, either. Works damn well. But there will be many times I'll look at my face plate and decide to leave it on the table top in the hall so I can just listen to my environment and car. I think of all the frickin' commercials that all the radio stations seem to play AT THE SAME TIME mad.gif headbang.gif and I think, "Screw it!". Even if my radio is ready for listening I'll still just keep it off, because the sounds around me are better than all the repetitive commercials I'm going to be bombarded with mad.gif

Which is why, if I get a system for my 914, it will be satellight. I've rented a couple cars with it and even installed it in a friend's new Nissan. Nice. Dance. Classic Rock. Techno. Pop. Gud stuff, Maynard!

Heck, I love riding my motorcycle and there's no music system on her and the ride is just as pleasant wink.gif Guess it all depends on my mood.
Dr. Roger
QUOTE (Rand @ Sep 30 2005, 02:55 PM)
but I don't like blocking out the engine noise too long at a time because I want to hear the health of it... or know immediately if something starts to go wrong.
My engine isn't completely broken in yet so i'm always listening for any little flaw or change. unsure.gif

I find i'm just emamoured with the sound of my 914. At idle. Around town. At speed. It's what i've always wanted (sound) in a hot street car. And it's way more quiet than a lot of hot rods here in town. No flex-i-lite fan sound at higher RPM's too.

Got the stereo, but never use it. And it's cheap enough that no one will steal it. LOL =-)
blabla914
You forgot one option for the poll.

"NO, it weighs too much."

BTW. The many of the original VW Rabbits back in the 70's used to ship from the factory w/o radio. The radio was installed at the dealerships. In place of the radio was a nice little black plastic bin that clipped in. Since my dad did many many Rabbit radio installs I managed to swipe a bin from him. It clips into the 914 radio hole with minimal modification and makes a nice place to keep your sunglasses. Unfortunately I don't have a good pict of just the bin and I don't have any extra bins hanging around. My dad uses them to store nuts and bolts at his place.

Kelly
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.