Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: brake upgrades
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
brewster
I have the 911 SC set up on front, but the rear is stock 714-4 that I've done the 5 bolt thing to. I'd like to upgrade the rear brakes with out spending too much money or doing too much work. Any Ideas? wacko.gif
Allan
I'm interested in this as well as I have just procured a '79 SC front end and have the five lug rears. I wanna keep the parking brake...
lapuwali
The problem on the rears is the parking/emergency brake. You can fit vented rear rotors using a spacer in the caliper (which will have to be made) and possibly an adapter to space the caliper side-to-side or radially (again, will have to be made).

This will do nothing to solve the imbalance problem front to rear. To do this, you require:

rear calipers with bigger pistons to compensate for the front calipers with bigger pistons you've already installed.

OR

a balance-bar type master cylinder (two master cylinders, actuated by one pedal with a balance bar between them)

The former brings up the parking/emergency brake problem, which can be handled by a complete 911 e-brake setup (lots of work), or a small cable-operated caliper in addition to the hydraulic calipers (a fair amount of work, expensive, and heavy).

The later is quite a bit of work and fairly expensive.
pete-stevers
Have you upgraded to a 19mm master?
spacers are exspensive, changing to a 911 rear caliper setup w parking brake even more expensive....
i know i will be roasted for this peice of advice but the siplicity of the rear system is great the way it is, just drill the rears and be done with it....or go and get a vented rear, and figure out the spacing with a new caliper and lose the parking brake...i have option B on my car and every time i park on a hill i am pissed that I don't have the insurance of a parking brake....On my brothers car we did option A i have never heard him complain about his brakes..... and option A is cheap!
Eric Shea has all the diffinitve answers
maybe he will pipe up
Aaron Cox
do you need an E brake?
if no - then go wild with caliper options....

If yes -
a few options,
Stock or widened STock fr vented rotors
911 Ebrake, drum style, mod to trailing arm and custom cables
Wilwood spot calipers.... (someone has a one coming to market soon that BOLTS ON and uses stock cables... cant say yet)
make a custom braket and mount a mechanical spotcaliper....

or no ebrake..

BTW - do you have a brake TEE installed?
SirAndy
QUOTE (brewster @ Sep 30 2005, 02:18 PM)
I have the 911 SC set up on front, but the rear is stock 714-4 that I've done the 5 bolt thing to. I'd like to upgrade the rear brakes with out spending too much money or doing too much work. Any Ideas? wacko.gif

if you can live without a parking brake, 911 rotors and calipers will fit easily ...

adding a 911 parking brake setup requires some sawzall-smiley.gif and smash.gif and welder.gif
wink.gif Andy
SLITS
I thought the 714-4 came with the biggest rear brakes made biggrin.gif
SirAndy
QUOTE (SLITS @ Sep 30 2005, 03:11 PM)
I thought the 714-4 came with the biggest rear brakes made

nope, that was the 913 !!!

wink.gif Andy
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.