Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 3.6 914-6 Restoration Thread
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2
McMark
First off, some info. 1970 914-6 Chassis. Acid dipped. Left outside last winter (not by me). Getting a 993 non-VarioRam 3.6, Wevo 915, GT Flares, all the fun bits.

And the first order of business is sorting out the chassis. Starting with the rear trunk. These are some freaky looking reinforcement plates poorly welded in. I'm guessing they were for a rear sway bar. pinch.gif
McMark
And cut...
McMark
And weld...
McMark
Stay tuned... biggrin.gif
SirAndy
schweet, "Blackie" is finally getting the attention she deserves !!!

smilie_pokal.gif Andy

PS: btw. was that "timing" freaky or what? remember when we talked about the car? unsure.gif
nine14cats
Mark,

I'll make a prediction right now...I bet you're done with that 3.6 914 before mine is done.....

ouch... dry.gif

Bill P.
McMark
Time to address the front passenger side headlight area. Lots of rust holes up here.
McMark
Cut out the old brace piece for replacement as well as access to the area behind it. More rusty sections. barf.gif
McMark
Without the flash you can really see how much swiss chesse it's got.
McMark
The front section ready to be replaced.
McMark
And just like that... *POOF* ... it's done. laugh.gif
McMark
Inner wheelhousing swiss cheese. icon8.gif
McMark
Bada-Bing. Bada-Boom. Nice new metal.
McMark
And finally, drop the new brace into place and ZAAAAAAAAAP. welder.gif

All the patch pieces were from another car, bead blasted, and cut to fit. smile.gif
neo914-6
QUOTE (McMark @ Oct 6 2005, 11:46 AM)
Without the flash you can really see how much swiss chesse it's got.

another reason I don't want mine dipped... laugh.gif

Are you going to add reinforcements and Engman kit?

Nice work BTW...
McMark
I'll probably add the Engman kit. I'm not sure anything else is worth it.
michel richard
Nice work indeed
Andyrew
I'll be watching this thread closely.

Looks good!!
thesey914
agree.gif That is some lovely welding skillz!!
SirAndy
QUOTE (neo914-6 @ Oct 6 2005, 01:02 PM)
another reason I don't want mine dipped...

yes, but the rustholes are *not* from the dipping, they were in there before. the dipping just made them show up better.

also, the surface rust you see now is due to the fact that the tub had been sitting *outside* for a year after it was dipped ...
not good by any stretch ...

wink.gif Andy
neo914-6
QUOTE (SirAndy @ Oct 6 2005, 03:03 PM)
QUOTE (neo914-6 @ Oct 6 2005, 01:02 PM)
another reason I don't want mine dipped...

yes, but the rustholes are *not* from the dipping, they were in there before. the dipping just made them show up better.

also, the surface rust you see now is due to the fact that the tub had been sitting *outside* for a year after it was dipped ...
not good by any stretch ...

wink.gif Andy

I know about this car, that was just my sarcasm of not wanting to know what "may" be there... biggrin.gif

I'm relying on your expert eye when you patched the "big" ones, of course it just takes time and more neglect on my part to grow more holes...
neo914-6
Mark,

Do you metal finish both sides or just the "visible" side?

How do you deal with the surfaces you can't spray paint? I like the idea of dipping to get everything down to metal but it seems you'd also need to dip the whole car in paint to coat every nook & cranny...
McMark
I didn't metal work both sides because the project doesn't allow for it ($). I don't believe that acid dipping and a normal thorough paint job will lead to a more rust prone car than anything the factory did. Dip it, paint it, done.
McMark
Just got a PM. The sender will remain anonymous. Just wanted to clarify a few things.

The rust you see on the 3.6 I'm working on is caused by two factors.

1. The car was painted with sealer by the people who did the acid dipping. These people are obviously not painters so they didn't do a very good job. Had they covered the car more thoroughly there wouldn't have been a problem. Even with factor #2.

2. The car was left outside in the rain for over a year. All the areas that got poor sealer coverage have started rusting. There are areas where you can obviously see the poor spray pattern outlined in rust.

I'm not out to convince everyone to acid dip their cars, but for me, I believe 100%.

If you want to debate dipping vs blasting, please start a new thread.
SirAndy
QUOTE (McMark @ Oct 7 2005, 09:02 PM)
I'm not out to convince everyone to acid dip their cars, but for me, I believe 100%.

agree.gif do a search here for before and after pictures of this car regarding the acid dip ...

this car had been sitting *outside*, completely stripped to the bare metal with just a coat of primer for over a year, for a complete raining season, before mark got it in his shop.

i actually think the shell looks remarkably good all things considered ...
cool.gif Andy
SirAndy
ok, now i'm getting in the middle of this as well ... biggrin.gif

here's my response to "you know who":

============================================
yes, there certainly is a problem now and we have been pondering on how to fix it. the initial idea was to have it dipped again, but the owner doesn't want to spent the money.
there is rust coming out of all the seams now because that's where the primer didn't get in very well but the rain water could.
i just want to make clear that this is *not* the leftover acid seeping out of the cracks, the whole car was soaked in a neutralizing bath for a day after the dipping.

our best bet at this point is to soak all the seams in Metal-Ready for a few days ...
============================================

smash.gif Andy
McMark
Rear firewall had some nice rot.
McMark
This was a challenging piece to put in because it's the firewall section as well as engine shelf.
McMark
There were a couple gaps which were larger than I like, but it all worked out okay.
McMark
Here it is from the other side.
McMark
Also, a nice bit in the drivers footwell.
McMark
I cut out the patch piece and then traced it and then cut it out.
McMark
Works pretty well.
SirAndy
QUOTE (McMark @ Oct 13 2005, 09:12 PM)
This picture will be replaced with a picture from the engine side of things. wink.gif

hey, not sure how crazy you want to get on this car, but watching my friend raffi bring old sportscars back to live, one thing they do with those pitted areas that had surface rust but are not actually rusted through,
they fill them in with brass ...

i guess that's one of the reasons why he gets big $$$ for his cars, they always spent TONS of hours making them perfect ...
cool_shades.gif Andy
McMark
Unfortunately it's not in the budget. sad.gif But it's a great idea. I would think lead or body filler/glaze would work just as well. I think we'll end up just covering them with carpet. lol2.gif
SirAndy
QUOTE (McMark @ Oct 13 2005, 09:19 PM)
Unfortunately it's not in the budget. sad.gif But it's a great idea. I would think lead or body filler/glaze would work just as well. I think we'll end up just covering them with carpet. lol2.gif

yeah, lead would kill 'ya quick too !

too bad it's not in the budget. if i ever end up doing a car "right" that will be one of the things i won't cheap out on ...
cool.gif Andy
McMark
New updates finally. dry.gif
Rusty inner fender.
McMark
All fixed.
McMark
Pedal cluster was rusted out. barf.gif Notice the cluster mounting studs are sheared off.
McMark
New metal, new studs. I just used plain sheet metal here since it'll be hidden under the cluster.
McMark
New rear floor pans. headbang.gif I hate doing floor pans.
McMark
While I was in there I repaired the clutch tube and made sure everything was a-okay while I had access. Nice new solid floor pans.
McMark
The 3.6 install in this car is actually a little unique. Since it's an original six it's not as easy as welding in an aftermarket six mount setup. Further complicating the install was the fact that this car is going to have air conditioning. So this required a custom mount to be fabricated. A stock six mount will bolt up, but would require a custom AC mounting setup. I decided to modify the stock 3.6 mount to be a hybrid 3.6/914-6 mount.

Here is an image of a stock six engine mount.
McMark
Here is an animated GIF which flip flops between a stock 914-6 mount and a stock 3.6 mount with my welding jig.
McMark
Finally, here's the finished product. Now I'm ready to test fit the motor in the car.
McMark
Another angle.
Dr. Roger
wow, that's purdy. smilie_pokal.gif

McMark, you've got skills man. beerchug.gif
East coaster
Is it going to fit with the extra pulley/dampner? I removed those items on my 3.6.
McMark
I had to use the stock pulley system because of the AC setup. dry.gif It's all there and bolted up.
McMark
This project is finally under way again. We had some stopping and stalling by both me and my customer. But regardless, fun stuff is happening. biggrin.gif

I started out by thoroughly cleaning the car and using Por-15 Metal Ready liberally. All the rust is converted and the whole chassis will be scuffed with 80 grit and Metal Ready re-applied just before paint. The white coating on things is the protective zinc left behind by the Metal Ready. It will be cleaned up before paint.

I got the 31 mm SMART Racing front sway bar installed. No big deal, the instructions are very clear and the process is very straight forward. For the inner reinforcement plates I drilled a few holes and then used a file to open it up to the correct size. This made a very clean hole that is just the right size and has nice square corners.

Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment

I'm using a stock 993 fuel pump to feed the motor. They're really cheap (~$125) and I know it's the correct flow rate, volume, pressure, etc. I took quite awhile to decide where to mount it. I wanted it close to the tank since the pump isn't meant to suck, it's meant to push. And I wanted it accessible without removing the tank. I'm satisfied with my final location. It will address both my needs and will be completely hidden. biggrin.gif

I cut a hole in the passenger compartment. This location goes right into the area where the fuel lines sit.
Click to view attachment

Here is the gigantic pump mounted to the first piece of the cover. I'll add some side plates to completely seal this area off from water or fuel vapor.
Click to view attachment

This is what it looks like in place. I will add four 6 mm x 1.0 bolts to hold it in place.
Click to view attachment

And here's what it looks like from the other side.
Click to view attachment
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.