Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Stripped weight
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
IanStott
Any ideas of what the body weighs with the suspension still on? Just finishing the roterisserie and some are suggesting the suspension should come off first, I'd rather not take it off if I don't have to. All interior is out, gas tank etc.

Ian Stott
Moncton
Bob Wolcott
I don't know, but I did weld braces across the door jambs (about even with the top of the door) to give it some extra strength. I made mine of 1" x .08" angle iron.

Bob
Gint
Couldn't tell you for sure. But having removed and re-installed suspension on a 914 tub *several* times, I can guess what it weighs alone. Maybe somewhere between 150 and 200 pounds perhaps.

I can also tell you that the suspension is relatively easy to remove and re-install. In fact, I'd rather pull a suspension than a 6 motor and trans.
Sparky
I can lift the tub without the suspension. With the suspension it feels like I'm about to drop a nut. But then again I'm a knuckle dragging gorilla.

Mike D.
IanStott
I was thinking of not pulling the suspension off so I wouldn't have to go through the expense of new bushings etc., however i do suffer from the common ailment of" well since I'm in here I may as well do........" I am thinking tub plus suspesion weighs in less than 800 pounds, am I way off or close??

Ian Stott
Moncton
EMRoadster
My `70 weighs 989 lbs as a roller with only the suspension w/wheels, tires & steering wheel/column. It has been otherwise stripped of everything that will unbolt and had the windshield frame cut off and rear glass removed. Though it does have three different heavy colors of paint on it still...
lapuwali
This would put a stripped shell with no suspension at roughly 650lbs, then.
IanStott
Just finishing up making the rotisserie and we didn't want to overload it, I bought 2 engine stands with a safe working load rating of 1000 lbs per stand, so I should be ok. Thanks for all the replies and maybe a bit off topic but I would like to thank all the people responsible for this website, it is my # 1 source of ideas/data etc. I am taking progress pics. as I go; but not too computer literate so unable to post as of yet.

Ian Stott
Moncton
Gint
QUOTE (IanStott @ Oct 1 2005, 08:31 AM)
I was thinking of not pulling the suspension off so I wouldn't have to go through the expense of new bushings etc., however i do suffer from the common ailment of" well since I'm in here I may as well do........" I am thinking tub plus suspesion weighs in less than 800 pounds, am I way off or close??

Ian Stott
Moncton

Sounds a little heavy to me, but you're getting there. Over estimating the weight for the purpose of determining if it will overcome you rotisserie is OK anyway. As for the suspension, you can remove it and then re-install it later without repalcing any bushings. All of the busings remain in the control arms (front and rear). All you'll have to do is re-align.

See the "Adding picture to your post" FAQ page.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.