Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Fuel tank leaking
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
billd
I smelled fuel around my 914 today and investigating found a wet area near the drain tube under the fuel tank. Investigating further revealed a very very slow leak around the 22mm nut that holds the supply (fat) tube to the fuel tank.

What's the procedure for sealing these tubes? I'm inclined to take it apart, clean it, and put it back together with some RTV to seal it. Is it OK to use RTV here or is there some approved seal or sealing compound?
RustyWa
You can get up in there with a crows foot and try to tighten it up a little. Best bet would be to buy a new sock and fiberwasher, about $6 from a VW shop.
Jeffs9146
You can get up in there with a crows foot and try to tighten it up a little. Best bet would be to buy a new sock and fiberwasher, about $6 from a VW shop

agree.gif

I did this in about 5 minutes. Just tighten it and see if it still leaks!

Jeff
dmenche914
Could be a lose nut, deteriorated washer, or rust thru. I generally see the larger tube have rust around it, cause of its location internally, it tends to get water build up near its base (the intake stikes up fromt he tank bottom, the return tube is flush)

remove the overflow tank (big flat square tank on top of gas tank, then remove the filler screws (around the cap) and remove the filler and cap assemble. Now using a match, no, er ah a flashlight, use a flashlight to peer inside, you should be able to see the supply and return tube, ans see if there is massive rust or not, if so, pullt he tank, and get it cleaned/sealed. Dot he inspection with an empty tank for best viewing.

Many tank rust fromt he inside, so use a gas dryer additive once and a while,a nd keep the tank topped off, to reduce condensation. tanks also rust fromt the outside, a big killer is any leak in the trunk near the tank, like the trunk seal, rusted out cowl to fender seal area, cloged fresh air fan drains, funky and leaky radio aerial holes in fender well, leaky wiper shafts, all can allow water, (and mix with a splash of spilled brake fluid) to enter under the gas tank. the tank sits on or is up against several felt pads to cushion tank fromt he car body, these pads soak upt he water, and before long the tank is deeply pitted with rust. It is bad, cause once teh felt gets wet, it stays damp for a long time.

If you notice condensation after a rain, ont he inside of thetrunk, then ou have aleak that you need to repair, else you maight get a gas leak in your tank on down the road.

Hope it is just a loose nut to fix your leak.

billd
There is definitely a lot of rust in there, but its not causing the leak - no through holes. What is involved in sealing the tank? Any recommendations on a place in the Bay Area to have it sealed?

There doesn't seem to be a fiber washer on the supply tube - just the tube and the sock. Perhaps this is why its leaking. Where does the washer go? Between the tube and the sock or between the sock and the tank?
RustyWa
Here's a graphic for you.
sean_v8_914
are teh supply and return tube seals the same as VW? Vee parts in SD did not know what I was talking about when I showed them the parts. I need those seals also. one was an aluminum crush washer and the other was a leather looking washer

BTW: I used a POR 15 fuel tank sealer product inside my tank. it spreads very evenly. takes 96 hours to cure. my supply and return tubes were a tad rusty. nothing that a wire wheel could not clean up
dmenche914
Before sealing a rusty tank, it will need be etched clean, and completey rinsed/nuetralized. I can't recommend any local shops, but start checking the yellow pages, try radiator shops, see if they will strip the tank and coat it. You can buy do it yourself tank clan and seal kits, just be sure teh sealer is darn good and compatable with your gasoline.

billd
Thanks much for the help. I have a new sock and gasket on order - numbers 11 and 12 in the picture. While I'm waiting for them to show up I'll look into sealing the tank, but I might just let it go. Its not that bad.

----Bill
billd
Unfortunately, we recently discovered that one or more of the parts you ordered are No Longer Available (NLA).  These are:

OEM-91420114710  GASKET

It looks like the gasket I need to seal the fuel tank is NLA. Anyone have any suggestions on a substitute part? If not, I'm going to take the RTV route.
Allan
When I got mine from the local vw shop it came with the washer. I also remember someone mentioning that it can be matched up at a hardware store.
RustyWa
QUOTE (billd @ Oct 4 2005, 01:44 PM)

It looks like the gasket I need to seal the fuel tank is NLA.  Anyone have any suggestions on a substitute part? If not, I'm going to take the RTV route.

aircooled vw shop.
dmenche914
try a couple local VW shops, there is Donsco in Belmont, and BugFormance of Sunnyvale (there is also Bug formance of san jose, but thats further south). failing that the next option to to buy some gasket material, Exacto knive, and some draftsman circle templates and cut your own. The original gasket as I recall is a hard plasrtic, almost like a phenolic plastic. (fiber re-inforced) other gasket material can be used, just make sure it is gas compatable.
swl
POR15 Gas Tank Sealer
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.