Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Brake line wrench, gotta go to Sears
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Tobra
What size wrench fits the hard brake line to rubber hose nuts? I am replacing my brake hoses, along with a bunch of other stuff today and though I might pick up one of those "special' wrenches, well two wrenches I suppose. I would rather only climb under there once, and it would be so much more handy to have the wrench for the brake lines before it is in the air
ArtechnikA
it's best to have one for the flex line, one for the hardline.
i'm remembering 11mm and 15mm but i wouldn't swear to it and i can't check right now.

but - IIRC - Sears has a nice st of 4-5 flare nut wrenches that will have what you need, isn't *too* expensive, and wil come in handy elsewhere.
jd74914
QUOTE (ArtechnikA @ Oct 1 2005, 09:38 AM)
but - IIRC - Sears has a nice st of 4-5 flare nut wrenches that will have what you need, isn't *too* expensive, and wil come in handy elsewhere.

you remember right, I bought the set last year and they worked great.
Tobra
QUOTE (ArtechnikA @ Oct 1 2005, 06:38 AM)
i'm remembering 11mm and 15mm but i wouldn't swear to it and i can't check right now.

How do you have time to do anything else when you are solving all my problems?
brp914
sorry, dont remember exact sizes. Unless $ is an issue, just get an assortment of flare wrenches 11mm - 19 mm. What I wanted to say was, for the rear soft lines there is potential for disaster (dont ask...). There are hard lines from the proportion valve on the firewall to shelves of some sort, both left and right. The hard and soft lines are on either side of a shelf. As I recall, with the engine in the car, you cant reach both at the same time. Then, when you think you are loosening the soft line, you might be twisting the hard line. Unfortunately, thats what I did and had to replace the hard line as well. Porsche actually had the part. But that was then. If you do that now, you may have to buy straight line plus hardware and put in the bends yourself. Careful. Maybe spray on some penetrant before you head off for the tools.
Cap'n Krusty
11 mm for the hard lines, 14 mm and 17 mm for the flex hoses. Not 10 mm, 12 mm, or 15 mm on any German car I can remember. For the rear hoses, an 11 mm crowfoot works well, and you might want 14 mm and 17 mm crowfoot wrenches as well. The Cap'n
ArtechnikA
QUOTE (Cap'n Krusty @ Oct 1 2005, 12:13 PM)
Not 10 mm, 12 mm, or 15 mm on any German car I can remember.

IIRC, 15mm was needed for one flavor or another of stainless braided lines that -- ahh -- someone i know -- once encountered. a living person, but of course the caveat is "so far" ... :-)
ConeDodger
QUOTE (Tobra @ Oct 1 2005, 06:42 AM)
QUOTE (ArtechnikA @ Oct 1 2005, 06:38 AM)

How do you have time to do anything else when you are solving all my problems?

Toby,

Artecknica must have really bad feet and he is hoping for a discount biggrin.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.