Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: heat exchangers
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
jimkelly
muffler kill horsepower if used on a 1976 2.0 motor?

Would 1.8 he's and muffler be an improvement - or - must the correct he"s and muffler be used?

I've read that SS HE's flow better - is this true?

Jim
Brando
Yes it's true... they flow better than a 1.7/1.8 setup. Go with early 2.0 SSIs and you'll notice a bit of midrange because the tubes are a bit larger diameter (than 1.8/1.7 HEs). Be sure to switch to all the early 2.0 heating hardware! Except the engine-bay hoses and blower motor. Don't forget a new muffler.

dry.gif
Allan
Being that the diameter of the SS H/E's are the same, I dont really see how the rise at the end will effect anything.

I'm running them on my 2.0 and it's the fasted car in the world. laugh.gif
Brando
Alan, with a stock 76 2.0... he's got the same setup as a 1.8. Ports from the heads go into a single tube on each side, then both into the primary muffler, cat, and secondary muffler.
redshift
I need a clean set of SS 2.0 HEs, keep your eyes open, and speak to everyone!

smile.gif

hijacked.gif Arg!

M
Allan
QUOTE (Brando @ Oct 1 2005, 01:47 PM)
Alan, with a stock 76 2.0... he's got the same setup as a 1.8. Ports from the heads go into a single tube on each side, then both into the primary muffler, cat, and secondary muffler.

Right, but with the 1.7/1.8 SS set-up it would flow mas better si?
Brando
I don't even know if they make 1.7/1.8 SSI HEs... I thought they only made the early 2.0 style... Besides, if you're spending that kind of cash for rust-proof HEs, go for the better deal.
rhodyguy
which ever route you chose, in addition to the muffler hanger and exhaust system, you will need a some heat system duct items, the 2 pieces of tin that connect to the engine case and the heat exhangers, and the correct he to muffler gaskets.

k
jimkelly
I have a 1976 2.0 in my car - but have not hooked up any heater stuff yet. The 2.0 came with HE's and a nice muffler but the HE's block access to the valve covers so we installed 1.7 HE's and a OEM type muffler. I have a set of 1973/74 SS HE's so maybe all I need is a compatible (and cheap) muffler. Thanks - Jim
Allan
I'm in the same situation as you are. I have a '76 2.0 motor in my '75 car. I installed 1.7/1.8 SS H/E's (along with all the hardware to get heat) and have had no (ZERO) problems. The '75-'76 H/E's suck....

If you can find (pretty easily actually if you ask around) all the bits and pieces to complete the entire system it works great.......
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.