Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: cheapest v8 conversion ...
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
jimkelly
I assume start by buying a used car for cheap bucks that has a decently running SBC motor in it and then buy some KEP parts?

Jim

I'd also want to put permanent tow tabs on front and a tow hitch on back so that when I take trips with fellow 914ers I could tow them back if need be.
neo914-6
Andyrew and Roger Grubb built conversions very reasonably finding used parts and starting with a low cost roller. Search their ID's...

Good luck! biggrin.gif
skline
Buy one that someone else either started and didnt finish or one that is already done. Save yourself lots of headaches and money and time. Trust me on this one.
Dr. Roger
QUOTE (jimkelly @ Oct 1 2005, 09:53 AM)
I assume start by buying a used car for cheap bucks that has a decently running SBC motor in it and then buy some KEP parts?

Jim

I'd also want to put permanent tow tabs on front and a tow hitch on back so that when I take trips with fellow 914ers I could tow them back if need be.

That's great! laugh.gif

I noticed that different people continually pop-up selling parts from several conversion companies. I ended up going to many sources for my conversion.

If your not in a hurry just be consistent in posting and reaching out to people telling them what your doing and what you need.

On my little V8 914 journey i've met some really great people who not only had parts, but were helpful with critical information. IMHO, Word-of-mouth works best on 914world.com

My other resources were craigslist.com, summitracing.com, and ebay. AKA evil-bay. happy11.gif

Source list.

car: craigslist
engine: craigslist
engine build source: summitracing.com
tranny #1: 914club
backup trannies: craigslist
adaptor plate, fly, clutch, pr plate, TO bearing: 914club/KEP
engine mount: renegade and 914club
exhaust: ebay and craigslist
intake: craigslist and FLAPS
ignition: ebay
radiator: summitracing.com
rad fans: craigslist

Andy said he did his for about 2 G's... I spent a little more because he's a better networker and I built my own engine and had to have some goodies installed. cool.gif

My fellow 914club friends were/are my BEST resource for my conversion.

Do like I did and start a progress thread and lots of people will throw in their $.02. =-O =-) I'll help all I can.

Go for it. You only live once. beerchug.gif smilie_pokal.gif
tat2dphreak
I've bought a 350 for $200 at a junkyard and rebuilt it for $100... I doubt the engine is the expensive part of the conversion... hell an old truck with a good SBC can be had for under 1000... just my .0914
Andyrew
Cheapest v8.

Score a motor. Either junkyard or whatnot (If you want reliable, rebuild it. bout 800 in parts and machining, you rebuild it) 200-800

Talk to KEP and see if they could "hook you up" with there old VW clutch flywheel pressureplate v8 conversion pieces. (400 vs 900) 400

Take out the firewall.

Install the engine with stock waterpump.

build firewall around the waterpump and belts. 100

Buy a good radiator. 150

Do lots of research on how renegade does there cooling system.
Buy very good fans. 100

Buy s10 headers, buy 4 el cheepo $10 mufflers (one pair turbo, one pair glasspack) and have a local exhaust shop fab the exhaust. shouldnt be more than 150

Wiring, Hoses, clamps, coolant, oil, ext. 200

Sell your current engine -600

Total net cost, 700.

Done on the cheap.
sean_v8_914
I paid 2800 for someone elses project. it had all nice parts just was assembled wrong. now it runs like a ________. I did a conversion in 1996 with a friend. we spent $3500 including chassis, engine and used KEP kit. Camaro IROC rad. I did not ow about the 914 hell hole back then. Rob took teh car to NY and broke it in half 2 years later
jimkelly
my current car is a 2.0 and will remain a 2.0 as ong as it holds up. I am looking at nother car tomorrow and would like to make it a SBC v8 on the VERY cheap. Thanks guys. Jim
jimkelly
I emailed KEP yesterdayu - they are gonna send me their catalogue. Guess the mating stuff I will get from them. I saw a local sbc 305 on craigslist for cheap - I'll keep looking for motors and the rest there. Thanks, Jim
dbledsoe
Jim,

As you know I did a V6 conversion rather than a SBC V8. But I have been looking into SBC V8 conversions possibly for my white 76. Looking at a local fellow's conversion it seems like you could make your own forward motor mount/cross member fairly easily using the original 914 cross member and welding welder.gif a pair of diagonals to it to mate with the SBC V8 rubber motor mounts. Doing that could save you about $250 right off the bat.

Don
dwillouby
I have about 14K in my converson.

I thought I was a cheap ebay loving sob!

David
BIGKAT_83
I made my front cross member mount. Less than $10 in tubing and about a hours worth of work. I sure can't see why one should cost $250.

I also made a CAD drawing of a alternator and water pump mount and had a freind Lazer cut these.

Meziere makes water inlets for a SBC at about $30 for a set. These are nice billet pieces and will allow you to remote mount a water pump.

You can use a standard chevy 6cyl. 6" harmonic balancer with V belts or a serpentine balancer from a 3.8 liter GM V6 both of these are a little over $50/60 I can get you the Hollander number for these . I used the V6 serpentine balancer at first and later changed to a ATI (SFI approved)high dollar one after thinking about this spinning at 7500 rpm 6 inches from my seat.

Every penny I saved on my conversion parts was put into the engine I didn't go cheap there

Bob wink.gif wink.gif
spare time toys
Some one just had posted a V8 car on ebay. It did not sell you could get in touch with the seller and probably get it around 2500. no start bid and it was like 2200 and buy it now of around 3000 confused24.gif Just a thought it would get you most of the stuff cheap and the car repairs most anyone here can scoop you in as to cheaper ways to do.

I found the post and bumped it it was by GWN7
dbledsoe
QUOTE (BIGKAT_83 @ Oct 19 2005, 01:42 PM)
I made my front cross member mount. Less than $10 in tubing and about a hours worth of work. I sure can't see why one should cost $250.

Neither can I confused24.gif but Renegade gets $275 for theirs and Desert about $250.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.