Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: ac compresser
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
shaggy
the ac compresser in the engine compartment...
the belt that comes off the engine to the compresser, does it drive anything else? or can i just remove the belt and take the compresser out and lose a few more pounds?

if it does drive other things how can i remove it but not have my car explode?
Kerrys914
If it's the original dealer install...Just remove it. The Alt is off the outer pulley and the A/C is off the inner pulley
McMark
agree.gif

Nothing else is on that belt.
shaggy
ok.

so is this sure enough that i can remove it in faith that nothing will go wrong and nothing will over heat?

is there some way that i could check to see if anything else is on that belt w/o dropping the engine?

thanks
McMark
Nothing else is on that belt. There's only two belt driven items, the alternator and the AC (if equipped) and they both have separate belts.

The people here know 914s pretty well. I've even seen one or two in my time. There's nothing else on that belt.
Kerrys914
Two belts..
Outer belt runs from the center pulley to the left (Drivers side, Alt)
Inner belt runs from the (inner center pulley) to the right (Passanger side, A/C)

If you are talking about the passanger side belt that feeds a YORK A/C compressor......CUT IT. sawzall-smiley.gif sawzall-smiley.gif The Alt is on the other side.

If you are still unsure take a photo and post it here...I would just cut it. The fan for cooling is not belt driven so you should not over heat the engine.

CUT IT... sawzall-smiley.gif sawzall-smiley.gif sawzall-smiley.gif wink.gif
shaggy
ya its for sure on the passenger side

so i just cut it?
then unbolt it and take it out?

are there any tricks to doin this quickly and without dropping a bolt or something?

thanks for the help!
SpecialK
QUOTE (shaggy @ Oct 3 2005, 05:13 PM)
ya its for sure on the passenger side

so i just cut it?
then unbolt it and take it out?

Assuming there isn't any refrigerant in the system.....yep. Cut the belt, remove the hoses, disconnect the wire to the clutch (a/c clutch that is cool_shades.gif ), and yank the anchor out. Keep in mind that if you take the compressor out, there'll be a big ass hole in your engine tin which will allow all kinds of crap to migrate from the road into your engine compartment, probably won't help engine cooling either since it'll "f' up the 'intended' circulation of the cooling air....I have no proof of that, but it seems probable.
Mueller
QUOTE (shaggy @ Oct 2 2005, 07:58 PM)
ok.

so is this sure enough that i can remove it in faith that nothing will go wrong and nothing will over heat?

is there some way that i could check to see if anything else is on that belt w/o dropping the engine?

thanks

the cooling fan is mounted directly to the crankshaft, if it stops spinning, you'll know pretty quickly smile.gif

invest in a drop light, and an inspection mirror, learn how to crawl into that tiny space and look around.......

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.